20 hp Kohler smoking won't keep running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by grick, Jun 23, 2004.

1. grick

grick LawnSite Member

I was using our lawn tractor the other day. It was running fine. Has a 20 HP Kohler. All of a sudden it started blowing smoke like crazy and soon stalled and quit running. Let sit for a bit, checked oil, and started again. Got started but would not keep running. Still smoking bad. Where should I start? Could this just be a ring that's bad? Or is it possible there is a easy fix? Probably 200 hours on machine.

2. hibby

hibby LawnSite Member

Check the breather. That's an easy one, and failry common from what I have read on this forum.

3. grick

grick LawnSite Member

The air cleaner?

4. hibby

hibby LawnSite Member

Well, the breather tube ends inside the air cleaner, you have to take the air cleaner off and then you should see a black tube there. That tube comes from the crankcase and I believe has a check valve in it. That valve may be bad. You might have to take a couple pieces off to get to the valve. I'm not totally sure.

5. shopbytch

shopbytch LawnSite Member

Ya, sounds like the air filter is plugged somewhere. Check the plugs; they'd be wet, but not oily.

6. southerngroundscare

southerngroundscare LawnSite Member

Do all the above suggestions first; check the breather tube for obstructions and clean, change the air filter and pre filter even if you just recently did that (change it, don't clean it), and install new plugs. DO ALL OF THIS FIRST. Cheap troubleshooting and it can probably use it anyway.