20 hp kohler starter problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Dec 27, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob2: i have 2 20 hp kohlers on bobcat hydro walks, they both click, and after repeaded (4-5) times of turning the key switch to start it will finally catch and start. ive think ive done just about everything without replacing the starter or solenoid. ive, chaged the key switch, changed batteries and cables, relocated the grounds, took aprt all coneections cleaned and greased, and ive even took the solenoid out and cleaned a lubed the the pinion. im at a loss and other suggestions would be great. thanks tony

2. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

A Similar thing happend to me on a MTD mower a few years ago. Turns out it was the safety switch. In order to start the mower, the deck had to be in the "up" position. When you lefted the deck up, the deck lever came into contact with that switch (which allowed the mower to start.)

I took it to the dealer and he replaced the switch. My guess is that the switch probably had an adjustment -- where you could move it a little bit back and forth to facilitate contact in case of a worn deck-lever. In any case, the dealer just replaced the whole switch for about $15.

3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a similar problem with one of our Walkers with the 20hp Kohler. Ours turned out to be the connector that went to the solenoid??? was loose..it was some sort of butt connector or snap-on connector. In our situation our mower would start fine without any clicking or hesitation if we jumped it with a screwdriver, but when using the key it would click & hesitate etc.
    Try jumping it with a screwdriver, if it starts no problem, then that SHOULD tell you that the problem is not the starter, but possibly a switch or something in the wiring etc.

PS- Im not a mechanic, but its worth giving a shot! :gunsfirin

4. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

I had same problem with my walker, after replacing, battery, 2 safety switches, resistor between key switch and starter and cleaning grounds I finally had the starter replaced and have had no problems since, I believe it was the solenoid but was told you cannot replace the solenoid since the starter and solenoid are one piece.

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for corrosion at all the connections.

If you have a amp gage, check it too. I had to replace it this past summer because of similar problems.

6. Bai Bai

Bai Bai LawnSite Member

Kohler use to be great engines, now the new ones just plain suck........:blob4: :blob3: :cool2: :drinkup: