1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

20 hp kohler walker starting trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by buzzer12, May 28, 2007.

1. buzzer12

buzzer12 LawnSite Member

i recently put new rings in this engine, new gaskets . benched tested it before i put it back in my walker. the engine starts perfectly . the trouble is that when i put it back in the machine it won,t start. it wants to but it wont. i put new plugs and there is spark the compression is 65 :confused: on both sides. still won,t start???? i take the engine out to the bench she starts right up!!!!!! i even disconnected the safety switches while it was in the machine that didn,t work. is the machine grounding out some where? please does anyone have any ideas , i.m going craze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

turn the fuel valve back on

3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, lucforce might be on the right track. What happens if you prime the carb with a dribble of gas?
    Is there gas TO the carb?

4. buzzer12

buzzer12 LawnSite Member

when the engine is in the machine and the gas is on, the gas spits up and out of the carb, when i disconnect the gas and let the garb go dry and then dribble gas in the carg it sill wont start!! but the second i unhook everything and take the engine out of the machine dribble gas in the carb it starts up and runs every time ???????????????????????

5. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

You have a safety switch issue or a short. Pull a spark plug wire and verify whether or not you have spark. I venture to say that you do not.