1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

20 hp or 24/27

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by djscott, Apr 22, 2005.

1. djscott

djscott LawnSite Member

All right just when I thought I knew exactely what I wanted i stumpeled into more desisions.
    I decided to get a Dixie Chopper silver eagle with a 50 " deck. Heres my problem or choices.

Dealer 1, 04(new) silver eagle with 20 hp kohler, 2 yr warrenty

Dealer 2, 05 silver eagle with 24/27 hp generac, 3 yr warrenty (I was told the 24 and the 27 are the exact same engine only labled different for consumer intrest.) Also, the 24/27 has a dual stage high performance air filter system

Dealer 2 is only 600.00 higher than 1.
    My question is this ....for 600. more which one would you get, I'm really leaning twords the 05.
  2. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

I would think the 20HP would be more then enough for a silver eagle and a 50" deck... BUT, most guys around here will say get the most HP you can afford... when things get wet and tall you won't regret it. Certainly it could be overkill... for normal use.

However 5-7 more HP plus 1 year more warranty for only $600 and a year newer??? I lean towards wanting the latest and greatest... I would spend the extra and go for the 2005.

Just my two cents....
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hey there dj , We just got our new shipment of 05 Choppers wed. , I've heard good things about the Generac at the dealer update seminars I attend.
    I had the chance to check the same unit out and its sweet!!!
    As for the air filter assembly,Let me just say this I have serviced many Choppers over the last 3yrs. seems every Kohler without the two stage filter needs replacing,I mite have replaced 2 outside filters and no inside filter on the two stage. They are a unbeatable filter assembly, Just think the better the filter less likely any sand will be injested through the engine therefor longer engine life.
    Is it worth 600.00 ? In the long run I'd say yes! To add a 2 stage filter to the Kohler I believe is in the $300.00 range, To shortblock a Kohler command 20 down the road would be in the $1500.00 range parts & labor.
    I see it this way 600.00 now or over twice that later down the road, Thats for you to decide but least you are purchasing a sweet machine.
  4. djscott

djscott LawnSite Member

I am going for the O5 with the extra hp. the extra 600 only makes the most sense, I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get it home, should be about a week. You are correct, it is one sweet machine. thanks again,Dallas.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Congratulations on the new DC.
  6. djscott

djscott LawnSite Member

I got the 05 with 24 hp. Wow this thing is great!! thanks guys. :)
  7. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

How much??
  8. Restrorob

Knew you'd Like it !
    Havn't had a dissatisfied customer yet. :cool2:
  9. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

Well...how much are they???
  10. Restrorob

Sorry we just got the units in like dj bought,havn't seen the price yet but I'll check tomorrow and post back at lunch time.