20 magnum to CV22 swap Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 97firebird, Nov 20, 2005.

1. 97firebird

97firebird LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I am currently swaping my old kohler 20hp magnum with a kohler cv22. The wiring plug on the magnum is just two wires, but the wiring plug on the cv22 is four wires. Can anyone tell me how to hook up the cv22 by building my own wiring harness? Will I have to buy the wiring harness for a cv22 in order to make this work? Am I in for trouble here?

2. 97firebird

Ok, here is what I have determined already...There are 4 wires. red, green, purple, and white. The Red goes to the bottom of carburator bowl. The Green goes to a plug-like fitting on the front of the block just to the lower right of the carb. The Purple goes to the plug on the outside of the engine shrouds. The white goes into an ignition module. I am pretty sure the purple is constant power. Not quite sure what the red, green, or white do exactly. Where do I hook them up to? Do I need them all for the motor to run correctly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe this will help !

Attached Files:

4. 97firebird

Thanks, I had already found that. However, I do not know how to hook up the wires to my machine because mine only used two wires to power a magnum engine.

5. Restrorob

OK, The red wire should be connected to the I post on the switch, This is the power supply for the fuel cut-off solenoid. The green wire is a ground wire for the cut-off solenoid and can be hooked to any good ground area.The purple wire goes to constant battery voltage to energize the voltage regulator for the charging system. The white wire is the kill wire to shut the engine down and should be connected to the G post on the switch. I'm sure you have a 5 post ign. switch right ?

Hopefully this is of better help
    Take care

6. 97firebird

Ok, sounds good...Give me some more time to mess with it and maybe I can get it to work. Thanks for the info, Ill keep you posted on how I do.

7. Restrorob

Okee Dokee....

8. 97firebird

Thanks Resto......I was able to wire it all up and it runs beautifully. I couldn't have done it without your help....Thanks a ton. Now all I have to do is relocate the battery tray and oil radiator.

9. Restrorob

No problem, You say relocate the oil cooler ? Where was it on the old engine ?

10. 97firebird

well I said relocate...I meant fabricate new brackets.. On the magnum it was bolted directly to the engine shrouds. With the new plastic shroud I can't do that.