20 mph zero turns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

As I mentioned my subcontractor still uses your OWV. OTOH, lets not start telling "too tall tales" about 20mph zero turns.:p We both know it's a phyical impossiblity, besides that mowing at that speed cannot be done with today's current mowers. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, a true zero turn with a OWV and one of the better current hydros that have their rear wheels at the edge of the cutting deck width, would result in the velky going past the 90 degree point relative to the stationary support bar. And that, IMO, is a place I really don't want to be. However, if you use a 54" inch deck with an old style mower that has the rear wheels placed well inside the width of the deck, then "in relation to accomplishing" a zero turn that would put the deck inline for the next pass, then Yes, you can use a OWV for zero turning.
    Please keep in mind, I'm not trying to find fault with your great products, but as one of the other posts said, "I just get used to it". Well, why is that??? I must admit, my dealer laughs at some of my ideas, but just the same, "I laugh all the way to the bank".:p
    OH, and if you use a standard lever hydro WB, I'd be glad to match my Hustler WB in an actual lawn condition race..... I hope mowing backwards is allowed, since that's just part of my daily routine.:D
    Pete
    For Pete's Sake

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

What's OWV and OTOH? Perhaps I'm just not down with the lingo.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can pretty much gather that OWV = one wheeled velke, but I have NO idea what the other is! I have a guess, that it may be sump'm sump'm operated hydro, but that's a shot in the dark. Gee, we should have known all these by now! We're SLIPpin'!:p

4. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

I believe OTOH means "On the other hand". It's just a guess and it seems to fit

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah! - That makes sense!:D

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

huh?

8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Could he be confused with a ZTR and a "zero turn" walk behind.
    I for one wont be getting on a "OWV" behind a 20 mph WB will U?

I don't think I've seen an ad for a 20 mph WB.

Jim

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry guy's about the screw up. My response was supposed in a response to "Jim Velky's" post about "Jungle wheels question". Somehow it became a new post instead of staying with the original question. Again, sorry for the mix up....
    Pete
    For Pete's Sake

10. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i'd like to see someone mount a big mower deck to that new COOPER MINI (it's a small european car) but i think it will be hard to make it zero turn.should be able to do at least 100mph.