1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$20 sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G.A.S., Sep 7, 2007.

1. G.A.S.

G.A.S. LawnSite Member

wheels were $5 each at tractor supply,
    5/8 bolts for axles and pivot points.
    Crude looking but 100% effective

misc. 064.jpg

misc. 045.jpg

misc. 065.jpg
  2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

building one a lot like that myself, but i am putting bronze bushings in the pivot points in hopes of longer life. at least good enough for phase one, so you know where to make the second one stronger.
  3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Nice Keg on the muffler...:laugh: :laugh:
  4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

that kegger is halariousss!
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Whats cude about it?

Looks like a good design. Welds are not that pretty, but they should hold.
  6. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Man, thats pretty nice. Looks good. How many hours did it take to build?
  7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks pretty good
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah that looks pretty friggin' good for a DIY, really you can pass that off as something you bought or came with it.
    Not too many people out there know the difference and there's so many mfg's there's no telling, maybe a tee bit weak looking at a few points but you sure could've fooled me, looks like it came with the Wb, for real.

And yeah I want that muffler, too.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Great design. I probably would have put have put a little more of a wide A reinforcement where the pivot tube meets the sulky, though. Oh well,...maybe next time - no biggy. I would like to point something out though, that I'm not sure anyone may have noticed. Look at the height of the pivoting vertical bar. Combined with the length of the first shaft off the mower, this allows the sulky to swing completely around with no problem clearing the wheel height. Excellent idea. This leads to absolutely no binding or jackknifing when reversing or pulling the mower back. That is thinking ahead. With the grease zerks, as long as that puppy is kept greased up, you will get alot of use on it before anything has to be done, and let's face it....even with the time you have into it,...for around 20 bucks, you did REAL well.
  10. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice job. I be willing to bet it will be trouble free for a lot of hours of use. It looks like you put a lot more then $20 of thought into the design. Is this the first iteration of the design? If so you did super. Normlly I'll have three or more tries before I'm happy with something new I build.

Eric D