20' Tandem axle

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jbailey52, Oct 11, 2006.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am purchasing a used 20' Dual axle open landscape trailer... My question is this wouldnt be a problem pulling with a 1/2 ton right?? I dont think so just want some thoughts.. the brakes will be hooked up to.. just using to pick up mulch, mowers, plant materials Etc.

2. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 18' with brakes on both axles. don't have any problems. I've pulled 3 or so tons without too much problem.

3. jbailey52

Yea I dont think it would be.. i mean how much heavier could the trailer be from a 12' to a 20'... I mean I can probably pick the 20 up by the toungue and walk it around.. Just wanted some thoughts before I went and bought it and had a prob.

4. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Either it is not a heavy trailer or you need to enter a strong man contest this is my trailer which is a 16ft the empty weight was about 3200 lbs I converted it to a GN hook up I like it a lot better than I did with the bumper pull hitch

DSC00342.JPG

5. jbailey52

Either I was misleading.. or your confused.. this is the standard Black open landscape trailer.. the one you got seems much heavier duty.. the GVWR on the 20' tandem is 7,000 dont know its weight.. but now as much as yours...on the 12' we have I can move it around no prob.. maybe I couldnt with the 20'; Im just sayin the truck will have no prob.

6. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey you know how us TEXANS are (THE Bigger it is better it is ) :laugh:
    And yes if it is the standard size trailer your 1/2 ton should be ok JUST make sure you have BRAKES and saftey chains Good Luck . shortgut

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I used to have an F-150 with the 5.4 to pull my 20' landscape trailer. If wasn't bad except when trying to hold highway speeds loaded. After about a year though, the truck sure seemed to creak and moan more often than before. That's when I bought an '01 F-250 powerstroke. Not only was this so much more power, but you really can tell the difference in the truck's framework. Braking power, sturdiness, everything. You really feel like you're pulling the trailer and never feel like the trailer's pushing you.:rolleyes:

8. Groundwork

Groundwork LawnSite Member

I use an open 20' trailer with a 7,000 pound rating and when my truck is getting work done my father lets me use his 2004 GMC 1500 with the 5.3 to tow the trailer. His truck pulls it fine but it definitely should have timbrens on the rear if it was to be used every day. My trailer is only loaded with a 21" push mower, 44" hydro walkbehind and a 62" Z with a few other smaller items. I use a 2000 GMC k2500 classic and the truck handles the trailer great, but the 5.7 does feel a little weak compared the the 5.3. As for moving the 20' trailer by hand without it attached to the truck good luck, if you can do it I wouldn't want to mess with you. The 20' is great though and there is plenty of room.

9. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I use to pick the tongue of my 16' tandem axle landscape trailer up and walk it to the ball on my truck. I just backed up till I knew I was within 3-4' of the trailer and I'd pick it up and move it the rest of the way.

Definitely younger, stonger and dumber then. <<8 years ago>>

For some reason that trailer gets heavier than it used to be every year.