$200 BP blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulJ, Oct 20, 2004.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. I finally gave in and bought a backpack blower. I hate them for everyday blowing clippings off walks. It takes longer to get in and out of them than they are actually running on some jobs, BUT for fall... that's different. My good handheld will get converted to a vac for fall leaves this week. Used for window wells, doorways, along the curbs and anywhere that the leaves don't want to be blown out of. SO I was at my dealer looking at blowers and they had 2 40cc backpacks for $200 each. A Mareyama (sp?) and Husqvarna. Almost the same blower (same engine) but I likes the frame and straps of the Husq. better. They list for about $400-$450 so I htink $200 was a good deal. After using it some to blow off fert and move some leaves around I'm happy with it. I won't give up my handhelds for most of the season, but the extra air is nice whne you need it.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've got a 46cc Kawasaki and it was fine until i tried and bought my Echo PB650 (63cc) now the Kaw feels like a useless pursuit.... it's just for backup or if a guy is working for me, and we need both at same time (whether for mowing or leaf removals). Someday you'll move up to a larger one but for now the 40cc will feel powerful to you LOL. if your just cleaning out beds for leaves it's fine but forget clearing the whole yard with it for the most part.
    Even for regular mowing, the 46cc Kaw feels useless....

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the blower to get the leaves onto the turf and then my mower does the rest. grind them up and then bag them. been doing leaves this way for several years now and it woerks good. last year I found myself wiht a handheld blower in each hand a couple times cleaning out bushes. That'll give yor arms a workout. I know there are bigger blowers out there but I don't want to carry a huge beast on my back and like I said it won't be used all the time.

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahh the old double barrel hand-blower trick. I used to do the same till I bought a Redmax EB7000. Now on some of the highly landscaped areas, I use a hand blower in my left hand and the EB7000 on my back with the right hand running the tube.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You kids and your Hand Helds...

How Long could it possibly take to swing BP on your Back...What 2 seconds... Blowing Clippings off walks, BP's are faster...you walk less.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The only time my handheld gets used is to blow out the garage.

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

If you think that 40cc has some power just wait until you strap on a Red Max EB7001. They weren't kidding when they told me I could blow bricks around. I still break out the Stihl hand held when I'm just doing landscape maintenance, but for anything else I would rather lug around that heavy beast. It honestly makes short work of a big job.

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I still use a Crapsman handheld blower, but it does just fine for my purposes. I gotta say, outta all the low end blowers out there, the Craftsmans hold up pretty good. Mine starts up every time--and best of all--I got it for free, a customer wrote it off as no good, bought a new one and gave it to me for parts, and I stuck a new plug in it, and she runs great--got plenty of guts--enough to do what I need it to do.

If it ever dies, I'll just go get another one, what brand?? I don't really know, but the Red Max's are sure attracting my attention, the hand held Stihls are in a close second though. I just don't think I need one unless ol' faithful (The Craftsman) goes bad.

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Used to do this as well. Used hand held for small clean ups, took up less space on the utility trailer and was less bulky. Large areas backpack and handheld. Both have their good points and drawbacks.

10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

That is a good deal on either blower! The one thing i like with the Maruayma is the air filter set up. It is much bigger and will filter much better than the Husky. Other than that they are pretty similar. I suggest to strap them both on and see which is more comfy. I have used both and find the Maruyama to be a little more comfy, but everyone is different.