1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

200 Gal or 300 Gal?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tompowerweb1, Jan 23, 2013.

1. tompowerweb1

tompowerweb1 LawnSite Member

I am adding fert & squirt to my list of "too many things to do and not enough time" for 2013. I am looking at a 200 Gal sprayer, and the thought crossed my mind,"will it be big enough?" Any opinions, 200 or 300 gal, what's the general concensus?

2. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

A little more info would help. Size of co., vehicle or trailer, how many accounts, what will you spray for (just fert or fung./hericide), lawn and tree/shrub etc.

3. tompowerweb1

Well, starting out, I am only gonna do some of my existing mowing accts. which will probably be about 15-20 accts. Next year I plan on advertising to pick up more spraying accts. I will be applying fert. and herbicide to lawns and ornamentals for now. I am wondering if I should consider a 300 Gal instead. The trailer I am putting it on is a 3500LB single axle trailer. I am also considering the Gregson-Clark ECO-505. Any thoughts on that piece of equipment?

4. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

As far as the sprayer I am actually only familiar with Lesco sprayers. Single axel trailer would be close for 300gal sprayer (assuming its a 3500lb axel),the water alone would be approx 2500lbs. The other thing you have to remember is that traveling with water is a little different than say a pallet of stone or something stationary (there is a lot of "sloshing" around while your driving). Just because you get a 200 gal sprayer doesn't mean your stuck with that forever, you could always add a second 100 gal tank very easily. This would also give you the option of having two different products for one visit ( saving time and money). So to answer your question I think a 200 gal. Would suit your needs fine.

5. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Just overlooked that you said it was a 3500 lb axel.

6. tompowerweb1

Thanks for your input, Great point about the 2 products in one visit. I think I'm gonna stick with the 200. I know what you mean about the surge in the tank too, I used to drive milk truck, and you get a pretty good rocking when you have a half load!! :dancing: