200 postcards ready for mailing. Too late in the year to land anything?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BBN, Aug 22, 2006.

1. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

Did some scouting of many in town postage stamp size yards. What do you all think. If I can land 1 or 2 just to finish the year and stick with me to start next year I'll be delighted. Is it realistic thinking to get anything this late in the year?

2. donhoy

donhoy LawnSite Member

It is certainly not to late. I just started my business a few weeks ago (first job, July 15) I've been marketing with door knob hangers (a lot less expensive than postage) I've picked up 8 new customers, two of them just this past week. People here are telling me that their curent lawn guys just don't show up any more. Others who were doing their own yards just can't because of the heat etc. However, you may not get the results you are looking for with just 200 post cards. I had 2000 door knob hangers printed ($150.00) I've used about 600 of them. One other advantage to using the hangers is that I've actually met a couple of my new customers while placing a hanger on their door. It gives me a chance to make a better impression than just a piece of paper might. Good Luck.

Don Hoy
    Hoy Services

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Right now, up here, is a great time to be looking for new customers. 2 estimates last week, most of these new ones are interested in service for next season. Most are unhappy with their current service.

4. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I agree that 200 may not be enough. It's so hard in this town to find postage stamp size yards. Most of them are occupied by older people and this town is demographicly young. I'd hate to steal other people's accounts. When scouting I even skipped the addresses of those that had their LCO's sign in their yard. I guess in a capitalistic society quality service and cost are the rule and this kind of work is one of the most pure forms of capitalism.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sure, you should land a couple, afterall by now most of the PITA's and Non-Payers have gone through all the professional LCO's that would take them so now they are stuck with finding a weekend warrior that won't know any better. You'll know those PITA's and Non-Payers right away because their "reason" for switching to you will be......"I'm not happy with my current guy" :laugh:

6. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

I work in the prison system so I'm surrounded by PITAs. :D Seriously, I'd love to land a couple and I can deal with the pains. At this point I'll take them at least. :)

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I landed a residential account today in fact. And this lady wants it all, she flat out stated she wants her property looking good.

I've also had numerous inquiries about snow removal for residentials in the past few weeks.

So yes, there are accounts out there to be had this time of year. And I wouldn't say they all are going to be PITA ones.

8. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Or you start landing the clients of the big LCO with 4x4 jacked up trucks with chrome rims 2 brand new Z'S that promised they would be dependable and show up ever week and do a good job:laugh: :laugh:. Now they got so many accounts they cant manage them all and many people get left out or just a mow-blow-go job and thats not what they pay for......so you pickem up

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I got news for you.....Big LCO's don't use "jacked up 4x4 trucks with chrome rims" as work trucks.......kids and wannabes do..... :laugh:

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Its true. All you need is a nice new truck without the chrome.

I always knew I was a wannabe punk kid, with my rims.

At least my truck isn't lifted.

My next truck is gonna be all stock 4x4 of some brand, in wt package. I'll put a good mud terrain on there for the tough look and traction.