200 Series Deere

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rcreech, Aug 1, 2007.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I posted on here the other day that I am looking at buying a used JD Skid.

Thanks for all your help guys! You have really calmed my nerves.

I have one more question...in looking a the 8 skids that are at the sale there are only 2 Series II units.

Would it be bad if I got a 240 or 250 that wasn't a series II?

I want to get one...but don't want to make a bad decision.

Most of these machines are under 1000 hours if that means much.

THANKS!

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

No I would not buy it if it wasn't a series II. But that's just me

3. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 200 Series came out in 1999. I would not buy a 99 or 2000 but that was so long ago that what ever needed fixed has already been fixed. They had allot of issues with the electrical panel and some had hydraulic issues. Like I said though that was a long time ago. Wish I had the SN list in front of me to tell you what years to avoid. If you call JD they will give you a SN list that shows what year the machine was made. There is a bunch of the early ones around here that are the early 200 series with no issues. The Series II just brings a little more money and was known to have the majority of the issues with the first ones that cam out fixed. Like I said this is an old machine what ever was going to fall apart has done it by now.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion would be to pass on it. They don't resale well and I am sure that not all of the updates were able to be field installed and were only made available on the newer machines. I would go home with nothing before bringing one of those machines home (I am refering to the 1st series machines).

5. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

I know where you can get a 2005 317 with around 1100 hrs for $15,900.00. PM me if you want the mans number......good machine. May have to drive south.

6. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

I have bought and sold about 80 200 series JD skid steer loaders. I post a lot of information on my website www.accuratemachinery.com about how I inspect skid steer loaders before I purchase them for my business. I posted some detailed pictures of some of the trouble areas that I have encountered. You might find it usefull. A quick note about the 200 series, make sure that the parking brake works, if it doesn't, it is a very expensive repair!

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

THANKS EVERYONE!

GREAT INFO AND ADVICE!

This site is so helpful!

8. dug1016

dug1016 LawnSite Member

All the current units are made in Dubuque, Iowa. I would stay away from any serial number that starts with KN, which was the old factory with inexperienced workers. The T0 Prefix units (Series II, typically after 2001) were Dubuque assembled units (assembled next to the backhoes and dozers) with input and suggestions from UAW workers who have longed worked on Deere products.

9. philsbs

philsbs LawnSite Member

I would not be affraid of an older 250. Deere has done a pretty good job with the updates. I bought a 1999 rental return with 500 hrs a few years back. I was told to check for updates. Went to the local dealer with the serial# and he said some needed to be done and ordered the parts. When I took it in to have them done they had a whole table of parts to put in it. Complete steering system, hydraulic lines, wiring, etc. free of charge and the skid was over three years old. I now have almost 2000 hrs on it and the only problem was a hydraulic line. It has moved many tons of concrete and lots of dirt so its definitely not babied. I also have put on quite a few hours with the harley rake and it works great. No excessive side sway and no slop in boom bushings (I do keep them greased).

10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 240 and as mentioned by someone else, had trouble with a leak in the parking brake area. I had the fortune of buying it reasonable because of that though. Other than that, awesome little machine, I thought the hydraulic power was outstanding for what was supposed to be a small machine. Impressed the heck out of me, I think it was very under rated lift wise on the spec sheet.