200 X 200 Pond ?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by YZJOE23, Oct 10, 2005.

1. YZJOE23

YZJOE23 LawnSite Member

Ive done ponds before but this seems to be a lake size. A customer has 21 acres and wants to put in a 200' by 200' 8' to 10' foot deep pond. They have the okay from the conty and state.Ive never done one this big. What kind of equip would I need to dig out such a pond ? My small bob cat would take years to dig. I can keep all dirt or sand on the property so that saves me some hauling expense. Question is how much is a job like that worth ? If there is somone that might want to tackle this get back to me this one might be to big for me :( The property is in Brooksville Florida. :dizzy:

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

you will need dozers an excavator to hog out the hard pan, and probably a pan to haul the dirt around so your not taking a month moving it with a dozer. Around here thats 15-20 k depending on how far the dirt needs spread. You also need a transit to shoot grade and an out let for the over flow.

3. Phillylawnboy

Phillylawnboy LawnSite Member

I built a pond for a billionaire customer that was approx 150 x150, and ran into many challenges. The first was he wanted a ornamental pond that had to be crystal clear. that left me with one option, and that was a liner, problem is i could only find a 100 x 100 liner. The seam tape stinks, don't use it, and i was to afraid to use silicone. found out wast management uses the same liners at landfills, and paid them 1500 to have them seam the liners together. needless to say the mans pond when all was said and done cost approx. $125,000. thats filters pumps, skimmers , UV's, rock was 35 pallets in all. It took almost a month with between 3-4 guys per day at the site. The man is happy to this day about the pond, and service it every 10 days to 2 weeks. so thats was more money. don't be stringy way overestimate on something like this, especially if you feel that the job is yours, and you are not competing against anyone. If you have any questions feel free to write me an e-mail, and i will get back to you,
    Good luck!

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Your going to need a fullsize excavator and a dump truck.

You could use your skid to rough grade it.

I wouldn't bother with a dozer.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thats an acre size pond a D8 or D9 would be more help than a dump truck. Your talking about moving a LOT of dirt, thats why I suggested a pan

6. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

You have any pictures of this pond that you built?

7. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Do the people u are building it for want it to be crystal clear?

8. addinc99

addinc99 LawnSite Member

If you need to produce a somewhat or very clear pond I have a suggestion on the filtration equipment that shouldn't cost a arm and a leg. New design built for large features just like this. Email me at addinc99@aol.com. Steve Atkinson.

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u also have to find out what the water table mark it u dont want it to high or it will float the liner if u dont put in vents

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Dude a D8 or D9 dozer is way to big.

They are more for open pit mining and quarries. Comes on two trucks and you need a crane for assembly.

I think a 6 is more suited for the job.

Friends D9 in Cali

D9.jpg