2000 3500HD pre-Allison

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by blackoakstone, Mar 7, 2008.

1. blackoakstone

blackoakstone LawnSite Member

Anybody have any pros/cons dealing with 2000 Chevy 3500HD diesel? Pre-Allison tranny... Don't know too much about it.
    I am getting ready to buy a dump w/ 150,000 miles, but wanted to check with others and get some good or bad on these trucks. Anything I should have checked out before spending hard earned money on one?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

What engine does it have? The Duramax or the older 6.5 turbo diesel?

3. blackoakstone

The older (2000 model) 6.5 liter turbo diesel.

4. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

OK,

6.5 diesel is NOT A DURAMAX.

Motor does not put out power anywhere near the Duramax range. So, don't even think that. It can't be plug and play updated either.

They do not have Intercoolers so you can't bump up the boost and when you run in hot weather you loose power if towing a lot because of no intercooler.

They have PMD's I think it is that go bad if you don't put them on a auxilary cooler. It controllers the Injector pump.

They have some cooling issues in the heads.

There are upgrades you can and should make to these. One is a different fan clutch from one of the upgrade companies. Home Made intercooler for around $700. Different oil filter system with a bypass filter. Probably New Lift Pump that's heavy duty from a upgrade company. EGT gauge and Boost Gauge.

They are good trucks but do need some things. I have one with all the upgrades and with that you can have the computer reprogrammed for around $500 for more torque. But, I wanted it to be more bullet proof, so I did the upgrades and noticed a better power curve and left it alone. Nice trucks but the 6.5 was designed from the 6.2 and it was just for a mileage motor. Not a towing motor.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

the worst diesel motor in recent time. And if that by bad enough you the have the transmission to contend with. You would do much better to go find a similar era ford and buy that instead.

6. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I used to see them in Jersey for sale with 40,000 miles on them. That is VERY telling. NO LCO sells a truck with 40,000 miles on it without a dam good reason.

7. mverick

Not quite the worst in recent time.

The 6.0 Ford would have that prize. I know 5 guy's that had them and all 5 were junk. One had the nice effect of having $5000 worth of damage when towing a trailer out. After it was all fixed and drove back home with trailer. $5000 more of damage when he got it back home. He bought it used so no Warranty. JUNK. 4 out of 5 have DuraMax now. Fifth can't afford to swap yet.

And, i like the 7.3 powerstroke but have seen a lot of them with rods through the block too. And, Tranny's that were shot.

It's not a bad motor. But, it's not a DuraMax. And, the tranny i've never had problems with. Auto's. Make SURE TO GET A PMD COOLER. That's the major problem with them.

8. blackoakstone

Hard to believe that it could be worse than the 6.0 ford. I can't imagine it being the worst motor in recent history...

I know it's not near the Duramax in power, but it's not near the Duramax in price, either... I would love to be able to drop $30 plus, but this dude is more in the $10 range. Gov. owned. Serviced regularly. Thoroughly inspected. No problems. It has 150K on it and still runs out like a champ.

I will do the PMD cooler. No question. I am happy to hear that you haven't had any tranny problems. That was my main fear. I know it is a better choice than the 6.0 ford.

I will be using this truck for hauling no more than 4 tons. It has a 15,000 GVWR. I may pull my Bobcat sometimes, but I have a C-30 that does that usually. We are just needing a replacement for a 70s model dump we no longer have. I was just thinking this would be a solid replacement.

9. mverick

They did have a lot of problems with the 6.5 but it was almost always traced back to the pmd.

Honestly, I think the 454 might be a better choice. Although, I like diesels. 454 is easier to work on. And, parts are cheaper.

10. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

The 6.0 ford gets a bad rap, mostly for the problems the 03's had. BY 05 most of the problems were sorted out. Many of the problems you read/hear about involve modifying the motors. To say the the 6.5 gm diesel is a better motor than the 6.0 ford is ridiculous. You can't even compare the two. The 6.5 IS the worst diesel in modern history. No Ifs ands or buts.

And if you want to play the "i know a guy who has one" game... four people I know own 6.0 liter fords, not counting my own, all of which have had zero issues. All of them are stock. My personal 6.0 has never been in the shop for anything (65 K miles 05). The motor is warrantied to 100K miles, so unless you void the warranty by putting a programmer on it, or somehow modifying it you shouldn't have any problems getting it repaired by ford.

For the record, I own both chevy and ford trucks, and I generally have no brand preference. Both trucks have their PRO's and CON's.