2000 Bobcat Hydro and slow ground speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Watcher, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Lawn Watcher

Lawn Watcher LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 54" Bobcat hydro with a 17 HP Kawi. I got it cheap last year as a leftover old model (they had just switched the the new electric clutch), for about 2 grand less than the new model. I love the machine (it is my first hydro) only problem is I am always using the thing at max throttle and max ground speed and I can still walk fast than the machine. The dealer says that it is just the speed it is meant to go. I also have a 97 Scag 36" belt drive. I would say the Bobcat runs about the same speed as the Scag in 3rd. I use the Scag in 4th normally and in 5th on those sparce 350 foot long runs with a velke. It doesn't even seem worth it to get a velke or use it on the long runs when I can go so much faster with the Scag. I have seen people post about speed up kits ,switching out the pullys or tires. Question I have is, what size pullys should I change to? (there are 2 one on each pump), how much more speed can I expect to get out of it?, Do I need to consider the increased temp on the pumps? (I know they put cooling fins on the pumps on the ZTR's) I figure I would like to get the machine speed up to about where 5th gear is on the Scag.

Thanks,
    Lawn Watcher

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

My Bunton Hydro W.b is similar....its not dead slow but its not nearly as fast as some mowers I have had. It seems to be equal to a 4th gear of a geardriven mower with a 5 speed. My dealer said you can ' turn up ' the hydro pumps in which will make higher ground speed matched with larger tires I guess that would put you right up there with the Z's good luck.

3. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 54 Bobcat walk behind hydro with a 17 horse Kawasaki. Iv noticed the same thing. I used to have a Bobcat 48 belt drive with the 15 horse kohler on it. The Hydro is about as fast as the Bobcat was in 4th gear. In fifth gear, that sucker would move out. I do love the hydro, and Iv been beating the machine for the last 3 years, and it takes every bit of it. The quality of the cut is till top draw.

I did buy a Bobcat 62 ZTR with the 25 horse Kohler on it. That thing moves out fast fast. With all that power it doesnÂ’t bog down, and I can keep cutting at a fast speed. Oh man dose it do a good job. Especially if the blades are nice and fresh sharp.