2000 chevy astro

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the chance to get a 2000 chevy astro (blue) with factory towing package and racks in the back(an electrician van for a school with multiple locations). it has the V6 and has 140,000 miles, it is in pretty good shape, the van was maintained by a full time mechanic at the schools. My dad works at this place and knows and trust the mechanic, he put it up on their lift and inspected it all, it rattled when idled, but i was told that when he replaced a fuel pump a few days ago the exhaust system became loose, and he will put it up on the lift to repair the problem, ASAP. it is the FWD driveline, it will need new front tires soon, but he has 2 mounted snow tires that he says can be used until i get new tires. I was thinking this would be a good first vehicle for me, as it can tow heavy loads (6500 lbs.) and i can store my tools inside and lock it, plus it has bins and racks for storage of spare parts, and roof rack built for ladders and pipes. i can get it for $500, which i think is a fantastic deal, i could never find something in thsi kind of shape that is tow set up, for anywhere near this price.

What do you guys think? would it be okay for a year or two? will it hold up, even with high miles? i need some input, as my mom is so stubborn, and i can't get her to see the benefits for me. she keeps telling me to use the corolla, and to borrow my dad's jeep when i need it (parents are divorced, dad lives in the next town)

any input at all is appreciated, even if it's "i don't like the armrest"

thank you

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good...Too good...and if it sounds too good to be true...it usually is...;)

It isn't the motor I am concerned with as much as the transaxel/tranny...Maintained or not the driver KNEW it wasn't his so I can safely bet it has seen abuse...$500 is a great deal and I honestly say go for it if your Dad says its cool but be prepared to put some $$$ into it sooner rather than later...

Good Luck brother...:drinkup:

3. mike lane lawn care

thanks, yes it is a little low, the KBB value is about $3500, but this is a non profit organization, and they are looking to replace the astro's with dodge vans, They have to spend money on new vans to show no extra money at the end of the fiscal year, in order to keep getting money from the D.O.E. They have a newer, low milage AWD model for $4,000, but that one has low use. the van in question has some minor cosmetic flaws, but only cosmetic, a small dent on the hood, that you can only see up close, and the arm rests on the door are covered in duct tape because they started to rip, but A/C works, radio works, brakes, e-brake, and lights al work.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its amazing that a 6 year old vehicle can depreciate that much. I have a 11 year old SUV that is still worth more than $3500 KBB.

The intake manifold gaskets on those engines go often, and are a real PITA to fix.

5. mike lane lawn care

what type of SUV do you have that is worth that much? i know that the engine has a few issues, but i know a guy that i help out sometimes with theater work (he's the theater manager) who used to be a mechanic, he now has an older astro that he just go back up and running, he had to replace a head gasket. he know the beast and i know him, so i'm pretty covered for labor.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its a '94 (Older than 11 years :D ) Ford Explorer XLT with all the options, I just KBB'ed it again and they priced it at $4,899 for private party, which is what your doing.
    I KBB'ed your astro and got $3800.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Man, '94 Explorers, those were the GOOD ones.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

except on ice. There was a stretch where there were two fatal accidents on icy roads. Other than that they are a good vehicle.

9. mike lane lawn care

have another question, in addition to comments about the van, does any one have an idea on insurance rates on this van for a 16 year old? i was thinking $700/year if i add it too my mothers insurance plan.

10. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

HAHA...If you want a price like that....HAHA

For full coverage on my truck, it would of cost me just under 400/month!

PLPD at around 230 a month.