2000 dodge 1/2 ton,,,,tranny problem?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SprinklerGuy, Nov 22, 2001.

1. The dealer said nothing was wrong but it still does it.

I had complained about slipping tranny during last visit, they said the tranny was fine but the motor mounts were slipping. They then replaced the motor mounts, not cheap.

Now the tranny still slips, it usually does it when I turn left at a light. Sound funny? It does it warm and cold and not every time.

What the hell is going on?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The problem is you bought a Dodge. I'm not trying to be funny or insulting so don't freak out on me. Dodge truck trannys are notorious for having problems. There are 4 Dodge pickups on my block that are 3 years old or newer and all of them have been back to the dealer for fixes including replacements. You really need to bug your dealer to fix it before it goes out of warranty.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Richard,the problem is its dodge?,You think Fords are one bit better? He has something wrong with his truck,it sounds like its low on fluid to me,maybe they arent checking it in neatral,or the trans filter is cracked of leaking at the seal,so when you turn,the fluid sloshes to one side,and it sucks air for a second.This is just a guess.Sprinkler guy,my 2 Dodges have had good trannys that held up great to hotrodding under high power,plowing,towing,and heavy duty service,once they fix this,service it regularly,and it should hold up fine.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

John DiMartino wrote:
    Richard,the problem is its dodge?,You think Fords are one bit better?

Did I say that Fords were better? I have a '95 F-150 that suffered from the dreaded Torque Convertor Shudder. But TCS is not a fatal flaw. And the minute I walked into the dealer I didn't even need to ask them to fix it twice. They knew that there was a problem with the tranny and just fixed it instead of trying to dodge the problem like the local Dodge dealer does.

5. John DiMartino

Im just getting tired of people bashing Dodge trannys on here.My truck put 369.1hp/ 726 fl lbs to the wheels thru an unlocked TC.Once I get my lockup switch in,I know it will put over 400hp/850 at the wheels.I can count zero other trannys that can hold this much torque reliably that are currently in pickups,even modified.

6. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

This is a typical problem with the dodges.We have had over 20 of them in 5yrs. and they have all had new tranny,s installed.(plumbing contractor's) Keep buggging your dealer thats what we had to do wwe had 1 that would shift from d to 2 constantly the dealer said it was fine after5 times of taking it in well when you hold it to the floor the next time it will let go then they have to fix it!!As for slamming dodges they brought it on themselves if you know its junk dont keep putting it in your vehicles!!!!!Ill stick with the chev's though

7. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

while im certinally not a chevy fan i would bet that the allison automatic behind that new duramax diesel would hold that kinda torque.....

8. John DiMartino

Strick dad,it s funny you mentioned that,because the allision isnt holding even close to that kind of torque,yet.They are having problems at 400hp,750 torque with the tranny,from what my tranny company says they cant get them to hold up at over 350hp,same with the Duramax,it is great at 300hp,but test mules at 400hp,are totally worn out at 25K miles,with hard running,and many dyno pulls.I cant verify this info yet,but my source has been dead on on everything elso so far,so we'l wait and see.The problem is the clutch capacity of the allison,they are holding,even with higher pressures,so when the computer sees it slip (more than a 75 RPM difference in input speed,and output speed),it goes into default mode,to protect the trans.If they bypassed the protective mode the clutches would be fried in no tiem,so for now it looks like the true torque capacity is around 550-600 ft lbs,as advertized,maybe in time they will find a way around this issue and it will hold much more.There is a guy on the TDR with a Dodge ram 4x4 auto,his truck has run a12.67 at over 100mph,his weight is over 6300 lbs,he is running a modified automatic,it is holding up quite well to his constant abuse,and drag racing,mud bogging,and sled pulling.This truck easly has well over 1300 ft lbs of torque,and he has snapped one output shaft,thats it,but that was his own fault brake boosting it to over 20 psi off the line in 4wd high range,holding it back with the brakes.everyone now knows to keep it at or under 15psi when launching,or snap that shaft.This truck was a 5 speed new,and he was destroying an average of one 5 speed a month(NVG4500)) until he went to the automatic,which has been in over a year,and 20K miles of the worst torture you could imagine.So I stil think the tranny is very capable in spite of have a hiogh failure rate behind stock engines.

9. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

from what my tranny company says

I don't have a Dodge or a tranny Co. I must be doing AALL right.

10. Andy Miller

Andy Miller LawnSite Member

I have a 1997 Chevy 1/2 which has never towed anything or carried anything heavy until recently. In June, with my wife driving, the transmission self destructed big time. The entire panetary gears was torn up like someone droped bb's in the oil. Naturally, the truck had 61000 miles and was off warrenty. I will buy FORD next time.