2000 F-250 vs 2003 Silverado 2500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by VAMower, Jan 9, 2012.

1. VAMower

VAMower LawnSite Member
    from VA

I'm buying a new truck and would like to hear your input on these two vehicles. Both have the same amount of miles, both 2wd and are the same price. The Ford has a 5.4 V8 and the Chevy has a 6.0 V8. Both have automatic transmissions.

The Chevy is from the South and the Ford is from up North and I am sort of worried about the rust on the Ford.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Less salt
    newer
    same price

Chevy

But you left out bed size and cab type. And does either one have limited slip rear?

3. VAMower

VAMower LawnSite Member
    from VA

both are reg cab 8 ft bed's. Although the F-250's bed is in much better shape. The chevy was a fed gov vehicle according to the dealer.

4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Why only these two? I personally like Fords but that year 5.4 isn't so hot. I'd go with the Chevrolet because of the better engine and you said it's probably better structurally.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

6.0 is a MUCH better engine. Won't get as good of fuel economy but will pull much better and last a lot longer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

I am a Ford guy, I love them and have had a f2250 and f350 with 5.4 and a v10, both great engines.......but i have also had one from michigan i bought low miles heck of a deal but rust was starting to come through on the doors so i sold it ASAP.........I hate rust so i would recommedn the chevy against my better judgement if you are only interested in these two vechilcles.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD and it's been a great truck. The 6.0 is smooth and powerfull, but yeah the mileage sucks with the 4:10 rear. The only problems so far have been the intermediate steering column wear problem and I had to replace the brake lines...but I am up north in the road salt zone. Otherwise it's been nothing but routine maintenance...granted I only have 48K miles on it but those are lawn route/landscaping miles....my average speed based on the hour meter & mileage is around 15mph.

8. VAMower

VAMower LawnSite Member
    from VA

Well, I decided to have both of them inspected prior to making a decision. Good thing I did. As it turns out it looks like the Ford F-250 has flood damage. The inspector found mold underneath the flooring, rust behind the dash board and a grinding noise was coming from the bearings (apparently water got in there). I will update you with the results of the inspection from the Chevy, I should have it later this evening. I will also try to post some pics.

BTW, I used lemonsquad.com, they were awesome to work with. The owner, Andy, personally called me to discuss the potential flood issues. Each inspection was $150 which includes hooking up an OBDII scanner to the vehicle to monitor the eng and trans performance. I couldn't find any other national inspection company that did this. I would highly recommend them if you are considering buying a used vehicle.

9. VAMower

VAMower LawnSite Member
    from VA

Oh yeah, there was also a lot of mud under the floor, behind the pedals and on top of the engine.

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Another thing to consider is that the Chevy will have a considerably higher payload. It will weigh about 400 pounds less and have a 400 pound higher GVWR. That is one factor that swayed me to the Chevy when I bought new in 2005, even though I'm really a Ford guy.