2000 f-550 7.3L- WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DLONGLANDSCAPING, Mar 16, 2011.

1. cms289

cms289 LawnSite Member

So, did you get it?

2. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry for the delay, i thought i was gonna go down this weekend. But i want to hold off until my dad test drives it this friday.

When i called the dealer yesterday, my third call with a different person on the phone, they said a guy from michigan is going to come down and look at it(which was me). Which made me laugh. I talked to the dealer owner finally and he said that if i doesn't sell before friday that he is willing to give it to me for $9,750. I got so many more pictures sent today, and actually just landed a 35k job, tear out, new lawn(15k sq/ft), small patio, and irrigation.

I am going to NEED the truck in april. My dad is going to be driving it friday and i will let you know if he is going to drive it home, or leave it there to get compression checks, trans checks, and tune up at a diesel mechanic down there before i make any transaction.

If everything checks out alright, i will be having the shop fab up a hitch mount down there, then i will fly down and get it saturday morning and stay for a couple days.

I will keep this forum updated.

3. DLONGLANDSCAPING

Quick question for you guys.

What do you think of the 2005 6.0 diesels? Are those the crap ones?

There is an 05' f550 stake dump, with 147k on it with the 6.0 diesel. Looks like mint condition in person.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The 6.0's got a very bad rap from the start, especially the first two years that engine was out. For those engines, the 06's were "better". Really, in order to make those engines as reliable as the 7.3's, you would have to do some mods on them, which don't come cheap. One of the ambulances at the company I ride with just had it's 6.0L diesel replaced, its an 06 too. The ambulances with the 7.3's haven't had new engines installed yet as far as I know and they are from '97, '00 and '02.

I would go more for the 7.3 and see if you can get that first.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you plan on getting a CDL, I would stick with an F-450. Even with the F-450, you'll only be able to pull a 10K equipment trailer and stay under CDL range.

That and the F-550 will cost that much more to license every year.

6. DLONGLANDSCAPING

I am planning on getting an f-550. Licensing and plates are 315per year , and an f-450 is only 58 dollars less. Also the insurance is right around the same, i've checked.

The f550 gvw is 19k and my trailer is 7k. It is one pound underneath CDL which is 26,001 lbs.

and i will definitly not get the 2005 6.0

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

What if you are going to pull bigger equipment? Just throwing that thought out there for you.

For example, if you are pulling moderately sized skid steer, you'll be over-weight on a 7k trailer if it weighs 2k to begin with.

8. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Get the 550. The actual capacity of the 450 is significantly lower when they have a heavy contractors body. You may have the proper license but you will be overweight which is even worse. Get the 550 and plan on getting the proper license required to pull a bigger trailer.

9. DLONGLANDSCAPING

good point. I guess i most likely wil be getting either a 331 excavator and/or a t190 or t200, for demo jobs and paver jobs in the next two years. So i will need a CDL. The only thing that sucks is the fees and medical card to carry around.

I want to keep my loads under 26k for as long as i can. When i have to trailer machinery i could just used my trialer and dodge ram, it handles the weight perfectly. ;/

10. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Well said!