2000 f-650 turbo diesel cummins...turbo is dead

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by greenworldh20, Feb 26, 2004.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

we purchased a used f-650 from meadowlands ford in 2002...motor had no problem in 2002. we brought truck back to meadowlands ford in summer of 2003 for problem. truck did not want to go over 55mph.

they stated truck was fine. truck did perform slightly better during rest of season...but over winter, truck did not want to go, move, nothing. weather warmed up and now truck will not go over 50 mph...they tell me today turbo in motor is shot and motor is now out of warranty.

nice, huh?

any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated

down with ford:angry:

2. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

What size is the turbo, hy35, hx40? Call your ford or dodge fleet dealer and get the model #. Ask them the price for a rebuilt. Also see if one from the 5.9 in the dodge pickups will work. I would imagine they will, there the same engine. If so go to www.turbodieselregister.com and click on the classifieds. I just saw one listed there for $300.

3. GreenTurf

GreenTurf LawnSite Member
    from NJ

greenworldh20,
    I may be wrong but I never heard of Ford putting a cummins diesel engine in their F-650. The 5.9 litre Cummins is only a 6-cyl. which I dont think would be enough power for a big truck like the F-650. I have only seen them Powerstroke or the Catapillar engines in these trucks.

4. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Get in touch the area rep for ford motor company! or ford itself and keep complaining about the dealer that you brought it in for a problem a year ago and they keep telling you their is nothing wrong, believe me if you complain enough they will do something to keep you happy they want to keep their ford costumers I worked as a service manager for Chrysler for 4 years and that how my costumers got it done sometimes for free! Good Luck give it try u have nothing to loose.

Joe :eek:

5. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

That motor is available for 650 & 750 along with a Cat diesel and powerstroke diesel. That motor is plenty powerful & then some. The six cyliders don't mean anything. Also I think the Cat diesel is a 6 also.

6. GreenTurf

GreenTurf LawnSite Member
    from NJ

rob1325,
    Thanks for the info. We learn something new everyday

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The turbo blew because you are working a small engine way too hard the 5.9 Cummins isn't designed for a heavier than a 1 ton truck. Guys think the 5.9 is more than enough but that isn't the case if you want the 5.9 leave it at 190-200hp so it doesn't live up to the Cummins nick name Cummapart.

To replace the turbo your looking at 1500-2000 grand you may beable to rebuild the current one. You can't slap any old turbo onto the engine it has to match the same so you are getting the proper boost. Without a turbo the 5.9 is a real dog it will never make it you also run the risk of carboning up the engine from running without it.

The key to keep a turbo from eating itself is keep the oil changed on a regular basis and a clean air filter. You also want to let the turbo cool down before you shut the engine off you also watch the EGTs. Do you have a Pyro in the truck if not get one with a small engine like the 5.9 you can push the EGTs too far because the engine is working too hard.

If your specing a medium duty truck get the largest displacment engine that is designed for trucks like the 7.2 Cat (C7) or the ISC Cummins.

If you want a truck that is going to haul heavy loads I would seriously consider getting rid of the 650 and get a International with 466 or 530 power.

8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

You are kidding, right? The 5.9 Cummins has been used in school buses, medium duty trucks and marine applications for years. If it were just a pickup truck motor why on earth would Ford make it an option in the F650/750 trucks?

9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You have to keep in mind school bus application is one of the lightest gvw work. The medium duties in this area have 30-35,000lb gvw non of that sissy 26,000lb crap that can't carry anything. Your looking at 7.2 litre cats to M-11 Cummins in medium duty trucks not the 5.9 Cummins even the local school bus company laughed when Bluebird asked if he wanted the cummins.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Ford truck above a 550 the 650 and 750 are not that good the only Ford truck that was good was the L series.

People that order the 5.9 Cummins in a medium duty are either cheap or don't know better. Ford offers the 5.9 because it is a cheap engine to stick into the truck same with the PSD.