2000 Ford F250 4x4 Super Duty Crew Cab

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kemmer, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I think it is a good deal. I don't know why everyone extends their opinion of the diesel engine over the gas engine. That isn't what the boy asked for. Just make sure you can handle the payments. The truck will be just fine.

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

No, actually he did ask our opinion about the truck. If my opinion includes discussion about gas or diesel, I guess I'm including it.

From what I've seen these trucks go for, it's no special deal. It may be worth what they're asking, but certainly no sweet deal.

3. blublazes

blublazes LawnSite Member

why dont you want to deal with diesel? a truck that size with a V8 is just too underpowered IMO, i have a 2001 powerstroke and it has all the power i'll ever need to do anything with, and i get around 17mpg, probably a lot better than you'll see out of that truck, just my opininon though, dosent have to be yours

4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Once again the truck seems like a decent deal, but he might get tired of only getting 8.5 to 9.5 mpg when towing the trailer like I get now out of my 2003 F150 with a 5.4 liter.

That is one reason that I am seriously looking for a F250 or F350 at this point along with the added towing capabilties and added longevity from the motor.

Diesels do cost more up front to buy and also maintain but the quality is there in those motors.

That is just MY opinion though

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not practical in the sense it most likely has a small V8. That's a lot of truck to move, aside from whatever you tow with it. You will not have any too much power nor will it be good on gas. Dealing with diesel means putting a different fuel in it. Oil changes are $45 done by yourself. That's the only difference between gas and diesel. We have a 2000 crew cab with a diesel, and a 2004 crew cab with the new 6.0 diesel and five speed auto. The new truck is incredible with the torque and power it has. Makes our 2000 7.3 seem like a joke. I can't imagine having a gas motor. We've got 92,000 on our 2000 and is still doing great (knock on wood). We have pulled trailers for 70,000 of those miles.

I guess ultimately, it depends on what you can afford and the application you put it to. Just be prepared to spend a lot on fuel. With your age and being new to driving, you will always be behind the wheel of that ride. You'll have more than paid for the diesel difference in fuel costs in less than a year, and lack power and resale in the future. Just my opinion though.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i merely suggested diesel because that truck will not get more than 13mpg EMPTY. towing will yield in the ballpark of 8-9mpg. my cousin had a 99 f250 with the v8. he just traded it in because he was spending so much on fuel getting 9 mpg on a daily basis.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Towing a trailer on a lawn route would suck royally with that truck. It's so long and just big that I would seriously re-think that truck for towing a mowing trailer. Now, if you're towing alot of weight, such as equipment trailers and such where you actually need a truck that big, that's different. My dad has a '99 F-350 and I really hate driving it compared to my '00 GMC 2500.His truck has the worst turning radius I have ever seen, it takes forever to turn it around. When I'm running my route I like a truck that I can get turned around easily and that Ford is just way too big. But if you're set on getting a truck that big, go for the diesel. Your mileage is going to suffer if you don't and the V8 gas is underpowered, F-350's weigh around 7,000 lbs, that's alot of truck to move PLUS tow anything. So basically if you're getting a truck this big you're gonna be towing some big stuff, so do yourself a favor and go for the Powerstroke.

8. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

I purchased my first F-350 diesel and would NEVER consider a gas truck again. The torque of a diesel along with 13 to 18mpg fully loaded won me over. Remember, at 100k mi the gas engine may start needing serious maintenance, while the diesel will just keep going, and going, and going....

9. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

What F250 GAS engine is going to pull a trailer during the day and turn an 11 sec 1/4 mi that night ?

Obviously diesel F350 :D :D :D

10. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Dang KB that is impressive. That would not happen to be your ride would it???