1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2000 hour club

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boozoo, May 16, 2001.

1. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

Okay, so there are a lot of great and not-so-great ZTR's running around out there. My question: How many of you have 2000 hours on your machine and are still mowing happily with it, with minimum or no trouble along the way? I'm trading in a front-mount Grasshopper, and so far my local choices are a 25 HP kubota-engine 61"Grasshopper mid-mount and a 27 HP kawasaki-engine Scag Turf Tiger72". Both are water-cooled. Think either of these could make the "club". . . or are there some better choices? Thanks, I could use an answer pretty quick : )
  2. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Go for the GRASSHOPPER!!!! Had a scag befor my grasshopper :D
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Boozoo, my old Dixie Chopper has 3,335 hours on it and it still runs great and mows great. It is being used every day we mow. It has been back to the dealer twice, once for an in take manifold gasket and once for new modules and 1 spindle bearing was a fuz loose. The last time was about 350 hours ago. I've also had 2 other Choppers and put about 2500 on each.

From what I have heard, the Kubota is a good engine. If I only had the 2 choices, I would demo them both and see which one seems the best for you.
  4. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a dixie chopper dealer nearby? It's not unusual for a DC to go 3000 hours+. I've had two grasshoppers and a Scag Magnum, all three liquid cooled diesels and have found them to be somewhat more economical but also somewhat more of a hassel to maintain. Keeping diesel fuel filters clean, constantly cleaning the radiator screen in dusty and dirty conditions, water pumps, etc. DC's have the best filter setup in the industry to safeguard their engines, whether Kohler, Kawasaki, Yanmar, or Honda. If you talk to a Kohler rep and say you've got a Kohler engine with 2500-3000 hours I'll bet he replies: Oh, You've got a Dixie Chopper.......Believe it! Lynn
  5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got 4285hrs on a Snapper 52" Briggs Vangard i purchased in 92,have yet to change a spindel bearing and no trouble so far with the Vanguard.Just changed to oil and air filter last nite,is so dry out there. Oh Eric buy the way i was talking to Joe Robertson today and he puts 55 to 60 hrs per week on his scags,and with the leaf work he does put 4000hrs every two yrs. Marks Mowing Service
  6. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

Well over 3000 on my Dixie. 22 Kohler won't quit.
    I've replaced the deck and spindles ,(because of the sand here)and the T-box!
    Still going strong.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

My Grasshopper has over 2800 on it. The Kubota runs great. The machine itself has become costly. I should have gotten rid of it right before it was 3 years old and it would have save me a pile of $
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

AT golf course,our Steiner is going for 5000 hrs.It is getting abit ragged looking,its an 89.It has a loader,mower,dozer blade and leaf blower,it has been worked very hard,and its 2nd Onan engine has about had it too,its ready to become a backup or retire to homeowner use now.Id buy another in a second,it had 2 axles break under warranty-they upgraded all 4,and no trouble since.I have put over 40 spindles(yes 40)and about 100 sets of spindle bearings.My guys love to mow roots,and bricks,and anything else they should be string trimming.They have a weak spindle setup,but an incredible,unmatched cut,with full width roller.I have the 60" deck.
  9. Scotty

Scotty LawnSite Member

My 1996 Dixie 22hp Kohler has 3000 hours and the 1998 Dixie has almost 2500 hours. Both are used daily and we have not had any major problems.
  10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Boozoo- I'd look at the big diesel chopper for sure, choppers have a great track record of lots of hours. Eric elm has a healthy ( or unhealthy ) relationship with his w/ double blades blazing. If there is no dealer support, ( Anybody tried this one? ) think about opening one! The skag would be my choice w/dealer support on the 72" and 27 kaw, and I heard the 31 kaw was to be available this summer on the tiger and sabre tooth.. Anybody seen one yet? On grasshoppers- I've seem to have had alot of problems w/ my two midmounts, the 25 kohler and 21 diesel, and with my two fronts. the cut is great and dealer around here super, but the $ are add up on the repairs before I even hit 1000 hours. strange things seem to break and electrical issues too. I am hard on my mowers, but who isn't in this business? Dave :blob3: