2000 silverado battery light

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Leone LawnCare, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

i replaced the battery and alternator and now every so often i get the battery light to come on. The gauge looks good i just cant figure it out. I would take it to the dealer but they want 77.00 jsut to look at it

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

buy a ford.... LOL j/k seriously take it to autozone or somewhere comperable and they should be able to hook up one of their fancy computer things to it for free and let ya know if anything is wrong with it or not... also check the fuses you might have one on the verge of blowing/shorting...

3. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

how can i check the fuses and no auto zone doesnt have a tester that is that high tech the light only come on for about a second or two

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

If you didnt have this problem before the alt and batt swap, thats where I'd start. Check all your connections at the alt and battery. It might be that your new alt is going bad. Put a meter on any hot wire inside the truck. Monitor battery voltage as you drive. See if the battery volts drop when the light comes on. If not, you have a loose connection or your computer is on the fritz.