2001-2005 Dodge 2500 diesel trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lyube, May 26, 2009.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

My F-450 weighs 9700lbs empty that is more than the gvw on a Dodge 3/4 ton. I also have 4:30 gears not low enough good for the highway but get into a place where the driveway has 12-14% grade. The 6.0 has the rotten programing that limits any kind of throttle at low rpms to prevent black smoke.

As I have said there are some places with concrete driveways steep enough that require 4 wheeldrive to climb them.

2. Cub Cadet YANMAR.

Cub Cadet YANMAR. LawnSite Member

your not really comparing apples to apples here with a F450 to Ram 2500HD, one of the nicest trucks ive been in would be a 2008 F450 pickup with the lariat package real nice setup they have but Im not a fan of them only going to keep this motor for a few years an drop it like a bad habit. The cummins is a good motor I feel its in the wrong truck an the duramax is a good strong motor with a good strong tranny to back it up with so take your pick really they all have there ups an downs.

3. milike

milike LawnSite Member
    from MI

4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

That is one of the funniest things I have seen lately!!!! Im hopefully gonna have a "Cummings" diesel here in the next few weeks myself and that video was too good! Funny as hell how much horsepower some people add from all them bolt ons.

5. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

You should probably do that too so you stop getting stuck on hills with the 6.0 :laugh:[/QUOTE]

:laugh: haha

6. Gravel Rat

:laugh: haha[/QUOTE]

I have a 2006 F-450 now with the torqshift it makes a big difference had the truck grossing a little over 17,000lbs and I could climb the 12% grade driveway where I was delivering to with no problems.

My brothers POS Dodge he puts 2500lbs of weight on the back the truck barely moves. He needs a new transmission it is on its way out with 230,000kms (143,000 miles). Needs a new injection pump too.

I can put 7000lbs on my truck and gross 17,000lbs and still beat my brother up the hills with his empty truck which is 10,000lbs lighter.

Ya apples to oranges but the 12 valve is a gutless pig. One of my brothers friends who owns a 96 12 valve wants to put a fuel plate in the injection pump he is sick of driving a underpowered POS.

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yal need to make a video!! Its halarious!

8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I have a 2006 F-450 now with the torqshift it makes a big difference had the truck grossing a little over 17,000lbs and I could climb the 12% grade driveway where I was delivering to with no problems.

My brothers POS Dodge he puts 2500lbs of weight on the back the truck barely moves. He needs a new transmission it is on its way out with 230,000kms (143,000 miles). Needs a new injection pump too.

I can put 7000lbs on my truck and gross 17,000lbs and still beat my brother up the hills with his empty truck which is 10,000lbs lighter.

Ya apples to oranges but the 12 valve is a gutless pig. One of my brothers friends who owns a 96 12 valve wants to put a fuel plate in the injection pump he is sick of driving a underpowered POS.[/QUOTE]

My buddy has a last year 12 valve and swears by it...Im getting ready to get a late model 24 valve...Ill give ya report here just as soon as I track the baby down and bring her home!

9. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Not to mention that theirs about a 10 year age difference between your 6.0 and his 12 valve, which obviously is going to heavily effect performance. :rolleyes::hammerhead: And his 5.9 must not be that bad if he's still driving it 14 years later.

Wow, a Dodge that has lasted 14 years in BC, who'da thought we'd ever see that day.:rolleyes:

10. Gravel Rat

The 12 valve is good for fuel mileage and it is fairly reliable. The 24 valve is more power but it has its problems aswell.

The 5.9 Common rail is the better engine.