2001 Dixie with 19hp Kawi, running problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fireman649, Apr 3, 2006.

1. fireman649

fireman649 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I have a 2001 50" Dixie with a 19hp Kawasaki. It starts and idles fine and does fine all the way to fast idle, when you start to move the machine(make jerky movements) it tries to die out, then picks back up. It pops under the air filter as well. The air filter is brand new, new fuel filter, the entire fuel system has been dumped out and cleaned. Carb has been completely cleaned and soaked. I also tried another carb that I had, still does the same thing. I have read a couple of other post on here about the fuel tank cap, I bought new caps because the old ones were letting water into the tank. The new ones have vent screws on the top, they are out, I will try to take the caps loose tomorrow to see if that helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need to sell this mower soon.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Post the model and spec. numbers off the white bar code label so I can look-up which carb. you have on this unit.

3. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Have the spark plugs been correctly replaced since the water was run through the engine?

4. fireman649

Rob,

The info on the white bar code is: Code- FH601V-CS01-ZZ, the E/NO is FH601VB13103. This is an X1901 also.

I tried it again today with the gas caps loose, no change. It's acting like there is water in the bowl, but there is not, or like when you hit a bump the gas is sloshing around and it looses power for a minute then comes back up to full power.

Thanks for any ideas, this one is driving me nuts, I usually don't get stumped like this. Also the plugs have not been changed yet, I will on Thursday, didn't have any left. They were black and sooty on the back side, and the front of the electrode was tan. Thanks again

5. Restrorob

OK, You said this was a Dixie model X1901. For some reason that model is not on the Dealer's web, Here's what I would do; I would install a in-line spark tester and have somebody rock the unit around and watch for intermittent spark to find if it is ignition or fuel related. I have had a couple seat switches inter-mitt and cause this type problem, Also some Dixie's have a mercury switch mounted on a blower housing screw or a starter bolt. This switch interrupts the ignition should the operator get on too steep of a incline, This could cause this type problem.
    If the unit passes the ignition test then go back to the carb., If everything has been gone through as you said about the only thing I can think of is possibly the float is set too high causing too much fuel in the bowl. Below is the proper float height setting.
    Before you get much deeper into it go ahead and change out them black spark plugs.

Maybe this has helped.

Attached Files:

6. fireman649

Thanks for the info
    Can I bypass that mercury switch? Is it a little round device mounted near the regulator? Thursday I was going to try to test the ignition. I'll post what I have found then.

Thanks again

P.S. I've got 2 new spark plugs on my list of items to get Thursday morning

7. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

haha i got the same problem with my 19hp kawi on my bobcat ztr.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Do not overlook one of the coils as a source of your problems. We see a lot of coil problems on Kawasaki engines.

9. Restrorob

Sure, There's two wires going into it. One goes into the wire harness and the other loops around to the screw that mounts the switch to the engine. Remove the wire from the mount screw and wrap it with electrical tape and leave it hanging.

10. fireman649

Hi Bobcat,

Let me know if you find anyhting out, and I'll post any info on mine. I'm going to mess with it again on Thursday.

Thanks