2001 Dodge Ram tranny rebuild

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RELIABLELAWNMAN, Dec 16, 2006.

1. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

Just had my 01 46RE tranny rebuilt. I pull my trailer 5 -6 days per week. Tranny shop owner advised me to change the pan fluid and filter every 9K miles (every 3rd oil change). He also does not recommend flushing any transmission. He does not offer flushing service at his shop. Kragen Auto has ATF+4 tranny fluid for $3.69 per qt. Saw Mopar ATF+4 trans fluid at Wally Mart for $4.99 per qt. last week. Just a little info.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I would add an auxiliary transmission cooler on it and change the fluid at regular intervals like the manual says for towing. 9k miles for a fluid change is a bit over doing it.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Flushing is okay if you also change the filter. What happens is when you flush the tranny it knocks stuff loose & plugs up the filter.

4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

you might want to add a drain plug kit,
    as it will make it a hole lot easier
    droping the pan already empty

B&M makes the kit you want.

5. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

9k miles is not at all excessive for this service especially when one considers that he is pulling a trailer-and that Dodge trucks are not known for having durable auto transmissions.

Quick question: How many quarts do you think this transmission system holds and how many quarts do you remove from this system by dropping the pan? "Changing" the fluid and filter only removes a few quarts from the system. You actually are only diluting the fluid that remains in service by 20-30%. I agree with adding a drain plug to your pan. Do this and drain/refill the every 9-15k miles and keep your trans happy.

The problem with flushing is not clogging the filter. The problem is getting trash into the valve body and shift solenoids that otherwise would never have found its way there.

6. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

Not sure if this is true but I heard that the generation 2 Dodges had a check valve in the transmission coolant lines which would eventually seize up of not maintained causing transmission failure.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

For the life of me I dont understand where you people get the knocking junk loose and it sticking in the valve body idea. Maybe I am mixing up the two but in a fluid exchange the transmission operates as it normally would except the machine interchanges old fluid for new while the tranny pumps it out itself. What is so bad about that

8. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

I contend that there is a difference between "flushing" and "exchanging fluid." There are different procedures and equipment for each.

I get the idea of moving trash into the valve body from a little place called experience.

9. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

the valve in the tranny line was subject to a recall for replacement a few years ago, i got mine replaced. the ball and the housing was made from 2 different metals, the ball would expand faster when heated and stick in the housing.

10. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto for the cooler!
    The OP knows what his towing loads are and probably what will work best. After all, he just replaced a tranny.

I have an acquaintance that owns a transmission shop. He strongly recommends an aux. cooler for transmissions that are "worked".

Another thing he pointed was that often people will pull something hard (like pulling a boat & trailer out of the water or similar) and then immediately shut the engine off. Leave the engine running for a bit so it keeps pumping the fluid for awhile to cool the fluid/tranny.