2001 F-250 Super Duty

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by coywade, Nov 20, 2006.

1. coywade

coywade LawnSite Member

I am a new start up and I know quite a bit about the lawn care side of the business but I am a novice when it comes to vehicles. I have looked around for about a month now and found a 2001 F-250 Super Duty with a 5.4L V8. It has 110,000 highway miles on the truck. It has never been used for hauling and is in immaculate condition. I can get the truck for $9600. What do you guys think? Is that too many miles to start pulling a 16 foot trailer with? What do you estimate the gas mileage to be? I am looking for something that will go 3-4 years to get the business up and running and then purchase a lower mileage vehicle. I know that most on here prefer diesel but I just cannot find one thats not terribly beat to death in my price range. I want to put forth a great image so a beat up truck is not the way to start for me. Thank you so much for your help!!

2. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

You don't say what trim level it is and what cab it has and if it's 4x4 or 4x2. Around here, crew cab SRW F-350s 4x2s are going for a little under $6k at state auction with just a few more miles, and they're in pretty good shape. If that's just a base model truck with vinyl seats, it's not worth over $5k.

3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

You did leave out alot of detail on the truck as far as trim, 4x2 or 4x4, etc.

however, Here in the South, that is a pretty good deal on that truck for the condition that you describe, especially if it is a 4x4. Look on KBB and see what the value is... As far ar the miles, not to many. Most trucks now are running upwards of 250,000 miles if they are taken care of.

4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the sepcs, that is a pretty good deal. You mentioned not going to the diesel. Have you considered splitting the difference between a Powerstroke and the 5.4 gas with a 6.8 gas? I have the 6.8 and love it. Tons of power and tows like a dream. Might be something to think about. You will loose a couple MPG in some cases, but it is not too bad. I average around 14-15 and that is 50% highway, 50% around town. I get around 11-12 around town pulling 3,500 lbs.

5. coywade

coywade LawnSite Member

Oh man I am sorry. It was late!! The truck is an XLT Supercab 2WD. I hope this info helps!! Thank you so much to the folks who have already responded.

6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I neighbor of mine recently bought a 2001 Crew Cab XLT 4x2 F-250 with the 5.4 and I think he paid $9500. Milage was about the same, so it is definetly in the ballpark and a good deal.

7. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep looking.... That truck will be lucky to return 10 mpg towing, and not alot better not towing.

You do not need such a big truck to tote a 16 foot trailer around.

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Your saying he should have a F-150 or Ranger to tow and 16' trailer loaded with equipment 5 days a week?

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I am saying he could if he wanted to. I have had 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks, they both worked fine for me pulling a 16 foot trailer loaded with equipment.

Sometimes I wonder about alot of the members on this site. It seems like they think you got to have a huge truck to pull any kind of trailer around... Why not ask how much this trailer weights and then look at all the trucks rated to pull it.

My last trailer was 16 foot, and loaded with equipment I estimated - and probably high at that - 5000 pounds total weight. I pulled it with absolutely no problems with a 1500 Silverado Short Bed with small V-8 and 2wd. I didn't even use the trailers brakes, just the trucks and never ever had any issues, not with panic stops, not with fast highway towing, not with pulling it up hills etc...

During aeration season I would have my 5000 pound trailer and another 1000 pounds of seed and fert in the back of the truck and still no problems.... Well other than the rear of the truck would sag from the weight, but a set of timbrens would fix that.

Yeah a F-250 would probably be a better tow vehicle than a F-150, but then you could say a f-350 would be better than the f-250, then you could go on to say that no really what you need is a f-550.... and then taken to the extreme you could just say screw it, you need a peterbuilt 18 wheeler to haul this 16 foot trailer...

All the while a v-6 Ford Ranger is likely rated to tow that trailer and would probably pull it just fine.

My advise to this guy is to keep a open mind and look around at more trucks. No need to buy a huge truck with alot of miles just cause he thinks he needs a big truck cause others think they need a big truck.

10. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree with Ron's Rightway, I pull around 5000 lbs with my six banger everyday plus I plow with an 8' blade and got a dumpinsert with a tailgate spreader on it, You don't need a huge truck for doing maintenance. But this is how we work our landscaping truck, wount do this one again!!!:dizzy:

P5120177.JPG