2001 Ford F250 XLT Ext Cab v10. Gimme oppinons

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RedWingsDet, Apr 26, 2005.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Im looking at buying a F250 XLT Ext Cab, V10 Auto, 41k miles, 4x4, new tires, power everything. Its a sharp truck, never plowed with, in good condition.

what kind of things can I expect to go wrong on the truck and what kinda repairs can I see fit in the future? I know gas mileage sucks, but thats all I know about it. LOL. thanks guys

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

2001 is the year when the spark plug blowouts were fixed, so that is a good year to have. The transmission should be fine unless you bomb the heck out of the V-10 with chips etc. and not beef up the tranny.

3. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to think because it's a Ford it will just break down for the hell of it.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I just turned over 86K on my 1999 Ford F250 with the V10.

Worst thing I've had to do to it was recent, I had to put new ball joints on the front, both upper and lower. I consider this normal maintenance though. Ball joints are a wear item, especially when towing alot....

The truck had only had one thing go wrong with it that I don't consider "normal" maintenance, ie brakes, tires, shocks.....that was the drivers side power window motor went out ar about 45K likes and had to be replaced.

The truck is a great truck and I have no complaints except the mileage.

I'll never get another gas motor truck though, except possibly for personal use only. Diesel's get way better mileage.

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a Chevy that blew an engine less than 2,000 miles after we drove it off the lot......but yet bought a 20 year old Ford truck that had sat for 3 years and fired right up with fresh gas and jumpers and was driven to Maryland twice 3 weeks later after it was oil changed, spark plug'd and greased up. What gives here? :rolleyes:

gm1.jpg

6. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Premier I have a 2001 f-350 with the v-10 66,000 miles on it and I also need to replace ball joints my front tires only get about 25 - 30 k on them and thats with rotation at 7,000 miles the air mixture solenoid on the back of the throttle body goes if it starts and sputters that's your problem other then that I drive about 80 miles per day! and she runs like a champ!

7. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

We have a 2001 f250 with the v10, we pull a lot of trailers with it. 4 horse bp, 26' rv trailer being the main ones. I've also pulled 22- 28' boats with it a few times. Currently there's about 90,000 kms on it....(55,000 miles?). So far we've had no problems at all, but, will have to put a set of new tires on the front before winter. Well, guess it would be the rear then, going to rotate them next week. I've been really happy with it, and even pulling the trailers, the mileage is ok too, despite what a lot of guys say. It was last summer when I last figured it out, but, with the RV trailer, I think it was 15-16 mpg, I don't recall if I figured that out in american gallons or not though, I think that may have been full imperial gallons.
    Almost forgot, ours is a 2wd super cab, with 8' box. I don't really need 4wd, but I am thinking about getting a limited slip kit to put in it.

8. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What mileage are you V-10, 4x4 guys getting towing and unloaded?

9. capitallandscapes

capitallandscapes LawnSite Member

Spend a little more $ and get a diesel, its well worth it. Better gas mileage, more dependable, will run twice as long as a V10, and pulls a hell of a lot better.

10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I decided not to get the v10, insurance was hell of alot more, and not worth it for me. Im pretty much decided on this chevy 2500hd with a 6.0