2001 Lazer Z Almost 4000 hours

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowZ06, Dec 4, 2012.

1. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

What is your opinion ? I bought this mower new in 2001 and the 23 kaw is showing its age finally. Bad oil leak with some backfiring and popping at times when cold starting. Does run strong though. The original blade spindles are still tight. The hydro's are still good and strong. Mower is in decent shape still for its age
    Is it worth looking into a rebuild or should I just replace the engine with a new one ?

Should I upgrade to a bigger engine. The 23 Kaw has always done me good.

Where have you bought your complete engines at ?

Do they sell them has long blocks and short blocks ?

is there a write up some where on the removal and install.

2. laman

laman LawnSite Senior Member

Is that the original motor if it is lasted a long time..

3. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

A neighbor had some problems with his 19 HP Kawi engine on a SCAG. He'd brought his SCAG new about 8 or 9 years ago. Took it to dealer and dealer told him best choice was a new engine. It cost my neighbor $2,000 (dealer did everything) and only took about a week (they had to order him an engine). The neighbor is quite happy with the mower and swears it runs like it was brand new. We are parting out his old engine. Lots of the larger assemblies (fllywheel, carburetor, coils, etc) have some value.

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have a Turf Tracer with the exact same engine. Mine is close to turning 5000 hours so I understand where you are. If the leak is around the governor shaft it is an expensive repair. If it is else where it should not be a deal breaker. The popping could be nothing more than a carb issue. If so, rebuilds for that are cheap. My advice is to take it in to a reputable shop and have two tests run: a leak down test and check the compression. If those are good, I would get an estimate for the repairs. Just guessing but replacing the engine could run up to $2500.

5. laman

The governor shaft seal is not a expensive fix. If the crankshaft upper bushing is wore that is a bad deal..

6. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the info, it is the original engine. Its been a good mower. I bought another used one earlier this year with a 23 Kohler ,same year 2001 or 2002 with 900 hours and hope it will last as long. I have a local mechanic close to me will see what he thinks. Compression test is the first thing I suppose after that find out where the oil leak is coming from.

7. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Are these the most common ?

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Where is the oil leaking from? Front? Top? Bottom? Every known seal has been replaced in my engine except the head gasket.

9. laman

I've changed the breather gasket and governor shaft seal. Mine is also a kawa. 23 with 725 hours