2001 Lesco Viper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tnales, Jul 16, 2005.

1. tnales

tnales LawnSite Member
    from florida

Hello again. My neighbor is currently selling a 2001 Lesco viper. It has the 60 inch deck, 23 HP kawasaki motor, with about 600+ hours on it.

Ive search the posts on here and I came across a few negatives. Is it true that the decks crack on the older vipers? Ive also read that the machine has very jerky movements. How about finding replacement parts for it? I looked on their website and could not find a lot of info about their ZTRs, which leads me to believe they dont really offer too much support for them.

I think hes asking around 3000 for it.

What do you guys think? Good deal or crap?

2. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

That sounds high for a four year old mower.Are there any dealers around you to get parts or to work on.

3. tnales

tnales LawnSite Member
    from florida

Yes. There are some dealers in the area. But I read on here somewhere that Lesco subs out its lawnmowers, and they recently switched manufacturers- meaning it would be expensive and would take a long time to get the parts. True?

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you what... I really don't know the truth about the Vipers.
    But they didn't earn a good name for themselves for some reason. (?)
    As for getting parts, it would be better to ask your local Lesco about that.

Now, with that said, let me tell you what I do know. In my opinion you would be very well served to just go down to your local Lesco and give them the opportunity to earn your business with the purchase of a NEW Lesco Z-Two, which is built by Commercial Power Equipment (CPE) who also builds the Cub Commercial like. Same mower as the TANK, but for thousands less due to the fact that Lesco buys direct from CPE and sells direct. Essentially they cut out the middle man distributor that is a part of most all MFG's supply chains, and earning a nice profit.

I really like my Z Two and I have been really amazed and extremely pleased with it's performance abilities SO FAR. (just bought it this month) It is very heavily built and has a modern age fabricated 60" mower deck of superior design. Plus it's powered by a 25hp Kawasaki. It is a very nice piece of equipment and I believe you can still pick one up brand new, zero hours, under full warranty, with every part readily available, for just $6,299 plus tax.

Personally, I'd do that before I'd sink over 3k in an outdated machine with 600 hrs and no warranty.... even if I had to use their financing.

5. tnales

tnales LawnSite Member
    from florida

Thanks. It does seem a bit much for an unpopular mower.

Im really looking for a used one since the only lawns I will be mowing are my own. I have 2.5 acres in S florida and 22 acres in cenral florida. I already have a 72 inch howard price for the property in central florida, but I want to be able to take the one I use for my 2.5 acres every once in a while up to the 22 acres so somebody can help me cut it when Im up there once a month.

So basically Im looking for one than can easily cut 2.5 acres every week, and also can cut 5-7 acres once a month as well. I think that a 60' would be good for the 22 acres, but not so good for the 2.5. What do you recommened?

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

A 60 inch is just fine for anywhere you can fit it... even down to 1/4 acres.

On 2.5 acres I wouldn't want less than a 60" really.

7. tnales

tnales LawnSite Member
    from florida

That sounds good. What would you say a reasonable price is for a 2-3 year old mower with a 23 HP motor and a 60 inch deck with less than 200hrs? The brands Ive been looking closely at are exmark, dc, and toro. thanks for all your help.