1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2001 Ram 2500(Good/

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by American_Lawn, Dec 4, 2005.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I am about to purchase a used truck for my biz? Im leaning towards a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck 4x4. Is this a good purchase or should I go with a different brand. say Chevy of ford. Also, has anyone had any problems with this type of truck or know anyone that has. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I guess a Dodge is as good as any. Thats what I drive and we use chevy's where I work and one brand is just as apt to break down as the other. What really matters is what kind of condition is the truck in that your considering? How many miles? price? details about the truck. Things like that are what's important.
  3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Travis is absolutely right- one brand is as apt to break down as another. Most of these threads break down into a brand war. A lot of guys think that if they have bad luck with a truck, whatever brand it is, the other million trucks on the road of that same brand are junk. Truth is, they all have their problems and strengths. What's really important is, will the particular truck you're looking at suit your business needs, both from a functionality and cost standpoint.
  4. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like you have gotten great advise already.
  5. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

I am a dodge man, but I reccomend that you get the right truck for your situation.
    as long as it is diesel they are awesome. my uncles had a 2000 2500 diesel and it had 300,000 miles on it pulling a 25 ft concessions trailer to fairs and stuff.
  6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I just traded-in a 2000/1500/360 cid for a 2004/hemi/2500. The 2000 i ran for 80k miles, pulling my 20' enclosed with all the toys. The 2004/2500/hemi pulls the same trailer a lot easier. Both 4wd and automatics. I am originally a Chevy man from the 50's on up, but Chrysler seems to be the only one of the Big 3 that wants to wheel and deal. I have been more than happy with both purchases.
  7. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys. I am still shopping around for that perfect truck and trying not to get screwed into a deal.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Jim Daily, i bet the hemi will pull the fuel gauge down a lot easier too, no? LOL
  9. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

HEMI is better on gas than any of the Old Mopar V8s Dads gets 22 mpg on the highway (not loaded down)
  10. 4x4Jim

4x4Jim LawnSite Member

I doubt that its gettin 22mpg. Maybe 17 if your lucky, my buddy has a hemi, I have a 2000 with a 5.9, I get 8mpg not pulling.