2001 vortec 4800 v8 silverado 4x4

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jeffex, Feb 5, 2001.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I.ve been a dodge man since i started driving in
    75' I'm about to convert. my dealer is looking
    for the truck i want now. I have 167,000 miles
    on my 82' dodge van and it still runs strong.
    My experience with chevy in 86' was a cavalier
    z24 i bought for my wife. It was great for about
    3 yrs. and then everything fell apart. I shopped
    price more than anything for a new work truck
    for my lawn bus. and chevy had the best deal. 6.9
    financing for 5 yrs new tool box for commercial
    customer. my price is not final until they find
    what I want but thier internet pricing on sim.
    models is good. ANYTHING i should know about
    these trucks before i get it. THE POWER IS
    AWSOME 270 hp compared to 225 on the 318

2. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

why not go with a 5.3 liter

4.8 270 hp @5200rpm 285 lb.-ft of torque @ 4000rpm
    5.3 285 hp @5200rpm 325 lb.-ft of torque @ 4000rpm

I don't remember the price difference but the more power the better.

I have the 5.3. I get 16-17mpg empty highway anywhere 13-15 city with a 7X16 enclosed trailer 4,000 lbs. 10-11 highway.

Im not sure of how heavy of a load you are looking at but i would consider a 3/4 ton. You can probably get a real good deal on the non HD versions. the load you have right now may not be that much, but Where do you want to be in a couple of years (with your company) do you want to a couple of ztrs a big trailer etc, etc. Just something to consider.

I am not trying to rain on your parade but just want to help out with some things that i have learned.

3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the thoughs. I don't need more power
    as my trailer and mowers are only about 2000 lbs
    if I thought I were going full time soon I agree
    with you but no plans for now.

4. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 2wd 99 Silverado w/ the 4800. Pulled a trailer with about 2000 pounds with no problem. Last fall, bought at 2001 4wd Silverado w/ the 5300. Has a lot more power with about the same fuel costs. I bought the 1500 because I thought I'd never plow snow. An opportunity arose and I was able to take over 20 residential drives for plowing. I put a plow on my truck and it does the job fine. I wish I would've bought the 3/4 ton. At the time I was looking, I priced the 3/4 tons and the price was nearly the same. Just some food for thought.

5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

We have a 4.8 1500 extended cab and here at work, and personaly, I feel the engine is a real dog. Think its even worse than the old 305 it replaced. Constant shifting needed on hills. Never hauled anthing with it, but don't think I want too. Not even close to the older 5.7L. I have never been in a 5.3L, so can't say much about that, but the 4.8 is not what I would consider a 'work' truck motor and was designed for business guys who drive to the office each day and haul a 'couch' around once a week for their mother.

The 4.8 will probably pull a good amount, but I'm sure its whining the whole time.