1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2002 Chev 2500 light duty

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAVE13, Jul 11, 2001.

1. DAVE13

DAVE13 LawnSite Member

The 2002 light duty is the same truck as the 2000 3/4 ton. Do any of you have expearance plowing and towing with one? Can it handle the weight of a V blade? How about the tranny?
  2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

A good friend has the 2000 2500, he doesnt plow but does heavy pulling all the time and the tranny has had 0 probs and astill runnign strong at 103,000. Its a good truck from what i can see but he doesnt plow which can put substantial stress on the tranny (heat) and put the test to the front end. Good Luck!!

3. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

I had a 1999 Chevy 2500 with 6.0 gas engine, used it to tow equip. & plow snow, depends on how much weight you are hauling (8,000 Lbs about it's comfortable max.) I wasn't happy with it's snow plowing capability....NO COMPARISON to the 1997 454 that i traded for the heap. I went Ford diesel this time around & am very pleased........all depends on what you need to do!
  4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

ive got the 2000 3/4 ton chev, with a straight blade

plows really well, and we had a bad winter this past year. i do lots of small drives, so lots of forward to reverse to forward shifting. Tranny temp gauge never moved.

with the heavier plow i would put timbrens (spelling?) on the front end to prevent the dipping action when you raise the plow. that is my only complaint with the chevy and i had a plow that isn't as heavy as a v.

as pleased as i am with my chevy, look at the HD version. that way you know your safe.
  5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

If you're buying new, why not get the HD ?? (!)

They're 7-8% more money and you know you're covered.

Bigger frame, heavier suspension, larger drive axle, shafts, components. Transission cooler, larger radiator, etc., etc.

Why mess around?
  6. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Look at the GVW. The 2500, I belive is 8600, same as older 2500 HD. The new 2500HD is 9200, same as old 3500 single rear wheels. I'm in the same boat I have a 1999 3500 with 454, need another plow truck + baby on way, looking at 2500HD, haven't decided what engine/tras yet, I've heard allision is slow in reverse.
    Best advise if your plowing/towing alot get 4:10 gears or higher makes a huge difference, don't let the dealer sell you less than what you need. I had a salesman try to sell me a 2500(6.0 L, auto, 3:73 gears) was rated for towing 8800 or somthing, I tried to explain my mowing traler/equip lives behind truck & weighs in around 7000. What truck is rated to tow is different than towing all day every day at that rating-you'll destroy the truck & won't be happy with the performance.
    Good luck.
  7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i am the village idiot when it comes to tech stuff with vehicles.

what is the difference with the two diff. gear ratios?

I always see these figures compared for sports cars, never knew what the heck they meant.

8. Michael Fronczak

Higher the number, more low end power.
  9. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

I have a '99 2500 Silverado, 6.0L, 4 spd auto, 3.73 gears. I pull with it all the time. I have had 240 yds of sod on the trailer for a total of around 10k pounds. I have never had any problems towing. I pull a skid steer with backhoe all on the same trailer also. I have been very pleased with my truck, but if I was buying a new one, I would get the HD, 8.1L, Allison tranny. Or even the Duramax diesel. I almost traded but they would give me enough for my truck. I now have 41k miles on it and it will be paid for in 3 years so I will keep it so I can buy that new tractor and replace my 1960.

10. Michael Fronczak

I wasn't putting down 6.0- 3.73 combo. I drove one(with 4:10) before I bought my 99 3500, would have bought it lots of great features: trans temp, pre wired for light, tow/haul. Didn't because was new that year & I didn't want to take chances. Truck had plenty of power empty, didn't drive it loaded.