2002 emark metro price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shm, Sep 15, 2003.

1. shm

shm LawnSite Member

okay- so i've searched and searched around and i keep coming back to buying an exmark..but before i plunk down 2400-2800 on a new 48 or 36 inch deck I'm weighing all my options

I am going to look at a 36 inch metro 12.5 Kawa pistol grip wb tomorrow...the seller is asking 2,000 with a stihl trimmer thrown in...i don't care about the trimmer...but it is part of the deal...anyway...what is everyone's thoughts on the price?....the seller said there is about 100 hours on the mower but it is in great shape.....any suggestions on what is a fair price?

the best price i have gotten for a new one so far has been a 48 inch for 2500 w/ ecs. 2400 for the 36inch...and that does come with warranty?

I know buying new probably makes more sense in the long run but I will honestly say that I'm trying to keep my spending down. and a couple of hundred here or there really helps.

and i almost forgot...the seller has a mulch kit and bagger for the 36inch

any feedback would be welcome

thanks
    shm:)

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

are you going to be mowing commercially? If so the waranty and relationship with a dealer should more than offset the cost savings from buying the used machine. $500 savings over the life of the machine only amount to less than $.25 per hour.

3. shm

shm LawnSite Member

this would be my home machine...but good point about dealer relationship. I have a JD dealership very close by but can't justify the cost of spending more on their mowers just for a dealer relationship and besides the exmark is s better deal for the money. what do you think of the used price?

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

36" metro go for $1999.00 here, NEW.

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have that 12.5 Metro/pistol, truly a great machine by the way, solid performer never down and very simple to take care of besides giving great cut and wonderful cost effective. All you need to do is sharpening your blades and oil/filter change and greasing regularly.
    100 hrs on it is very good shape, should be within $1300- 1600 without sulky but with extra add-ons it should be little bit higher.
    Don't forget, a new one is only $ 1999 plus tax.
    good luck.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Most all the $1999 promotion machines are gone now. The dealers bought them for that purpose. Its now the exception rather than the norm to find them that cheap.

Check the blades and under the deck first thing. If the grass is heavily built up and the blades real dull he didn't do regular maintenance on the mower. Everyone changes oil before selling, but the slackers forget about the blades and buildup.

The mulch kit is $110 new and the bagger is around $250 new. I bought a bagger new but its been several years ago. Don't know what trimmer but it could be a pretty good one.

If everything is in good shape then $1700-$1999 is a fair price. He already eats the tax and you can't buy that mower in your area for $1999.

How has my 36" metro held up? Extremely well. I will be replacing all the belts this winter. Right now all the original belts are still on the machine. I bought this mower in mid 2000 and its been on the trailer ever since. Other than oil and filters it hasn't cost me anything. Very reliable machines.

7. shm

shm LawnSite Member

i'll be sure to check the deck first thing...also the cosmetics of the machine also tells a lot...did it get banged up or was it cared for...etc etc. i agree that i can't get that mower for 2 grand new up here in CT...best i found was 2400 w/ ecs and kawa -2300 w/ pistol...i think if it's in good shape 1600-1700 would be a good deal with mulch kit included....for 2 grand even...I'd probaly lean toward the brand new machine and establish a relationship with a local dealer