2002 Exmark engine question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by landcruiser, Sep 27, 2006.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

What gas engine make does Exmark use in a 2002 Lazer XP (72" cut) with serial number 325684? Is it a Kawasaki v-twin? It is liquid cooled but I can't tell what engine it has. Please help.

2. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

I have a 03 XP and it’s a 31 hp Gas Briggs made by Daihatsu liquid cooled.

hope this helps

littlenic

3. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

littlenic, has the this Briggs engine been reliable for you? Does it have good power, run cool, use no oil, etc? I just don't know anything about these engines but I'm considering buying one and want to know others experiences.

4. RyDawg3

RyDawg3 LawnSite Member

it more than likley a kawasaki 22 or 25 or 27 hp

5. RyDawg3

RyDawg3 LawnSite Member

kawasaki 22,25, or27hp

6. littlenic

For some reason I thought the XP only cam with the 31 hp or 27 diesel.
    Your best bet is to call Exmark directly 1-402-223-6300 and ask.

As far as problems, the duel mule belts were the only real problem and after the 4th or 5th update with grease able pulley spring tensioner, I haven't thrown a belt in months. And I really put it under a load because I bag 6 months a year. Never run into anything it wouldn’t do yet. I have replaced one wheel pump, but I use it hard, moving heavy trailers, so I wasn’t surprised.

good luck, littlenic

7. littlenic

To answer your other questions, Is the Briggs engine been reliable for you? YES
    Does it have good power, YES, "VERY MUCH SO"
    run cool, I keep an eye on the coolant and add when needed, it has never ran hot yet.
    use no oil, etc? NO, I change oil & filter every 50 hours. I did have a problem with a drain plug, but it did exactly what it was supposed to do, plug strip, pan fine.

I would buy another in a min. without a second thought if it was in good condition.

littlenic

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

No, if it's an XP, it's either the 27 Diahatsu Diesel, or the 31 Diahatsu Gas. Same 3 cylinder engine block and displacement. One has spark plugs, the other has glow plugs.

In later years, eXmark dropped the 31hp XP and only offered the Diesel.

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The model number will tell you the HP.

Oldtimer