2002 Ford F550 7.3 Failing Under Load

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rawtoxic, Jul 21, 2014.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

A 2002 is obd2. 95+ actual is

You can pull codes you just can't pull live data with most picket scanner. I have a small launch scanner that will pull live data. It's handy
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. wbdodgeiv

wbdodgeiv LawnSite Member

Obd 2 is a requirement for vehicles less than 8,500 lbs.

I haven't seen a cheap scanner than will pull proprietary manufacture specific codes. The autozone guy can't read idm faults, or none around here do.

I bought a seat of Autoenginuity when I had a broken down powerstroke, worth every bit of the $400 it costs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a boost leak

4. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

All scanners will pull codes from the truck. Nothing proprietary going on in the computer. With that said, you cant read duty cycles with a regular scanner, which in most cases is a big help when diagnosing anything with the powerstrokes.

5. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

Most relevant guess so far. Could even be an overboost going on too. But again, we know nothing untill we get some codes.

6. whiffyspark

Yep. I haven't had an issue pulling codes in anything under 550.

I have auto enginuinity on laptop for person use. It doesn't compare to a modis or equivalent.

I had a genesis, launch book, matco branded genesis and a modis. The only one I miss is the modis.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I've got my eyes on a Modis.

8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The only difference between the obd2 connectors is the 2002-3 and up use a can protocol and the early scanners will not access them. All obd cars have codes available without manufacturer specific test equipment. A 99 dollar test unit will access the codes if it works with the can protocol which most new ones will.

With the data some is available too any scan tool. There are manufacturer specific data that may not be available as there are certian bi directional capabilities that are not supported by aftermarket scan tools.

9. whiffyspark

Most functions are supported now through snapon. Most not all. Everything bidirectional I've needed is

The last one I had I couldn't program security modems but that may be supported now
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. whiffyspark

I've been looking for one. Or a Solaris and vantage for graphing

Don't have any experience with the verdict
    Posted via Mobile Device