2002 Ford F550 7.3 Failing Under Load

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rawtoxic, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets take this in a new direction. Does this truck have a fuel tank mounted behind the axle ? If so is it metal or plastic ? If its a metal tank then it has delaminated and is clogging the screen in the fuel pump which is mounted in the tank and also sending partials into the injection system .

2. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

The filtration system on the 7.3 is good enough that those particles dont ever reach the injection system.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I've had that happen on plastic 6,0 tanks as well. One completely trashed the whole fuel system
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Check for a ground problem, too. I've had that cause all types of problems on diesel engines.

My '08 loses power like that and when i look at the turbo pressure it's not reading anything. I pull over, restart, and it works. I've got an extended warranty so I need to get it in but last time Ford couldn't recreate the problem. Watch your boost pressure too.

5. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

VGT solenoid issue most likely. Get it in for warranty, if they tell you they can't re-create it they are FOS.

6. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

Sounds stupid I had this in my 03 7.3 it was just the fuel filter
    Don't know how but that's all my issue was

7. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

If this were true then Ford owes me over 5 k back then . I had the original tank replaced by for d with a tank that was supposed to of had a different lining then that tank went bad a few yrs later and has now been replaced by a poly tank

8. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting thread....1. Not a boost leak, it would cause low power all the time. 2. I would look electrical, cam sensor, under valve cover harnesses, valve cover gasket plug. I am not sure if ford still sells a little plastic wedge that would tighten the connection between engine harness and valve cover gasket. 3. Fuel tanks arent really a problem, it is the foot on the pickup. there is a mixer valve on the pickup that aids in warming up the fuel and gets plugs and starts to suck air when less than a quarter of a tank. hutch mod fixes that. U also put an inline filter before pump, really helps alot. General maintenance google guzzle and 7.3, u may want to try powerstroke.org and dieslstop.com for your question. I would for sure be looking at the electric side of it

9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Aready provided the link. Made me work my butt off fixing mine.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I think you're kind of a fart smeller.