1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2002 GMC 2500 Crewcab 4x4

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by onemilmhz, Jan 31, 2005.

1. onemilmhz

onemilmhz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I am thinking of buying out a guys residential business and this truck is part of the deal. Anyone have any experience with them? I am a Ford guy myself but my dad has owned his Chevy 1500 for a year now and I have come to like it. The one that I am looking at is a 2500 but NOT desiel. This was my first concern as I am not looking forward to paying for gas in a 8.1L! Any body have one of these that can give me some pointers?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a 2002 Chevy 2500HD ext. cab 4x4 with the 6.0 gas motor and trade it in 2004 for the same truck with the Duramax diesel. The 2002 got about 9-10mpg towing our 7x16 open trailer and the Duramax gets about 14-15mpg towing. We traded because of the fuel mileage. I know o-so-n-so on here has a 2500HD 4x4 with the 8.1 and I think he said he gets about 8mpg most of the time.

3. onemilmhz

from Georgia

:eek: 8 MPG! I was thinking 12-13 at the worst. And I thought my 5.4L was bad.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have an 04 2500 with the 6.0

like the truck a lot
    no issues to date ( only have 6K miles though)

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you consider important in a truck?

6. onemilmhz

from Georgia

Good question. Let's see, there has to be a blend of towing power and comfort, and because I hunt it has to be capable off-road. That's why I like Ford Super Duties but I have come to find that my dad's Chevy is most of the above as well, eventhough it's not four wheel drive. I guess I would like it to be fuel efficiant too but come on, it's a towing vehicle. The auto maker that builds a truck that tows like a desiel but sips gas like a hybrid will own the world!

7. Smalltimer1

This is just what I've heard, but the Dodge 2500's with the Hemi lack low end to be an effective puller and get as poor of mileage as the 8.1. The 8.1 has been getting 6-10 mpg consistently (driven one of those). The Ford V-10 gets 10-12 (I've driven them enough to know).

What scares me about the GM twins is that there is nothing under the front fenders to support it in the event of a crash. The front fenders support the radiator, grille, front fascia, and other external components. The Fords have a substructure underneath in addition to the fenders to support the radiator and other components.

8. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

Just a little info. I am a technician at a GM dealer full time and part time LCO. I have not seen any major mechanical problems with the 6.0 or the 8.1. 2500 is a good truck but I would probably think about the Duramax over the gas for mileage reasons. The 2500 with the 8.1 doesn't even have a fuel mileage rating on the window sticker.

9. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

I have an 04 2500hd and so far I have a had no problems with it. I tows very well. I get just over 10 miles per gallon with it and it is a 6.0. It's offroad capabilities are great. During the big snow storm we had here in early december it handled hills and everything very good.

10. Smalltimer1

Just wondering here......what happened with all the CSK/piston slapping engine problems in the Vortecs??