2002 LawnBoy

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dpdoug01, Nov 17, 2004.

1. dpdoug01

dpdoug01 LawnSite Member

I have a two-year old, two-stroke Lawnboy (Silver Series). It is leaking gas. I did a short inspection and believe the gas is leaking from the muffler. This was pretty much confirmed when I started it up and excess fuel sprayed from the muffler, along with dense white smoke.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

Thanks,

Don

2. arborguy

arborguy LawnSite Member
    from KY

Well gas out the muffler is usually a sign of a stuck float. What's the warranty on the unit, I shouldn't think something like this should be happening to a two year old unit.

Does the smoke keep going after you start it or is it just a puff of white smoke.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine was doing the same thing. I would start it and gas would blow out of the muffler. I just put a carb kit on it and it fixed the problem!

4. dpdoug01

dpdoug01 LawnSite Member

The smoke will dissipate some, but tends still to create a bit of an embarrassment. I had a problem with the carburetor a year ago which was repaired under warranty. The engine is also pulsating (more so than what is expected for the two-stroke) similar to what it did when I had the carb repaired. Based on what you suggested, sounds like I might need to clean the carb.

Thanks,

Don

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Install a new needle, seat and float. Cork floats expand after extended suspension in gas, thus touching the top of the carb body prior to the needle shutting off the fuel. For your pulsating problem, pull the pilot jet from the side of the carb(under part number label), clean with a fine wire as well as enlarge the port in the end slightly. Lawnboy also has a replacement pilot jet with slightly enlarged orifice.

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I had the exact same problem, replaced the needle or install a carb. kit and you should be good to go.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you haven't got the problem fixed it is a split gas tank. The plastic comes apart at the seams.....they are see a VERY high failure rate in our area.