2002 Lazer Z 52"

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by wareagle, May 19, 2003.

1. wareagle

wareagle LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am looking at a new 2002 Lazer Z with 52" deck and 20HP Kohler. It has about 2 demo hours on it and I think I am the only one who has actually mowed with it. It has a little rust in a few spots like the muffler since it has been stored outside. The dealer won't budge from his $6400 asking price. This still seems like a decent price. Has anyone seen any better deals on this type machine?

The other question I have is about quality of cut. I mowed some relatively tall and wet grass today to a 3" height and noticed some uncut grass. The dealer said it is from the front wheels pushing down the grass and that at a 3" cut, there is not enough lift to pick the grass back up in time to cut it. By lowering to a 2.5" cut, the deck is able to hold a vaccum better and there did not appear to be any uncut grass. He said cut height should not make a difference with dry grass. Does the dealer's explanation make sense or is there some other issue?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey wareagle,

$6400 for a Lazer with only 2 hours on it is a pretty good deal. That's almost $1000 off the 2002 price, and you still get your full warranty.

I think the dealer is right on with his explanation of the problem. It's hard to get wet grass to stand back up in a fraction of a second after it's been run over by a 1000 lbs. machine. The closer you are to the grass, the better chance you have to stand the grass back up and cut it. This is why that 1/2" made the difference. Sometimes different blades that give you more lift will help. Some people may argue that double blades may help, but I can't really provide you with any information regarding doubles. I haven't experimented with the performance of doubles on our machines, and it really isn't super safe.

This should not be a problem in dry grass, unless something else is wrong with the mower. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here to help,

Dustin

3. wareagle

wareagle LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Do you really think that the 20HP Kohler is sufficient for this machine with a 52" deck?

4. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" with the 20hp Kohler and I love it.
    I cut mostly warm season grasses and a lot of Rye in the winter. No problems with either.
    The only problem I have is on a couple of properties that have mostly Dandilions and will not allow me to treat them. I always have to double cut.
    But its a very good mower and I have had no problems so far as the cutting quality or the engine.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

wareagle:

How much power you need is really for you to decide, but here's what I can tell you. If you want to cut at 9 mph and take off six inches of grass on a regular basis, this isn't the mower for you. If you want to mulch or bag the clippings year around, you might want a little more power. For these all applications, I would consider the 23-hp Kaw. or the 27-hp Kohler.

You can still mulch and bag clippings with the 20-hp Kohler. You can even cut off six inches of grass, but you're not going to do it at 9 mph. Here's a little analogy for you. Truck manufacturers have several categories of vehicles they offer - 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, etc. Think of the 20-hp Kohler as the 1/2 ton, the 27-hp Kohler as the 3/4 ton, and the 27-hp Daihatsu diesel or the 31-hp gas engine as the 1 ton truck. Can you pull a cattle trailer loaded down with 5000 lbs. of USDA Prime Beef? Sure you can, but a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck is going to do a better job. The same is true with our mowers (except we don't pull cattle trailers with our mowers, of course!).

Take a look at the mower, consider the properties you are cutting, think about your budget, and then make a decision. Let us know what you decide.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

In the fall of '01 I bought a 2001 Lazer Z HP 52"/23hp KAW which was a demo. It had 36 hours on it (15 of which I put on). This machine looked brand new and was stored inside. I haven't had ANY problems with it, and I saved a lot of money buy buying the demo. I paid $6,199 for it, and full factory warrenty from the day I bought it. My dealer threw in a couple sets of blades and a mulch kit for the same price. It leaves a great cut, and has plenty of power. I am happy that I didn't go with any less hp as I always say you can't have enough power!