2002 Lazer Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wareagle, May 19, 2003.

1. wareagle

wareagle LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am looking at a new 2002 Lazer Z with 52" deck and 20HP Kohler. It has about 2 demo hours on it and I think I am the only one who has actually mowed with it. It has a little rust in a few spots like the muffler since it has been stored outside. The dealer won't budge from his $6400 asking price. This still seems like a decent price. Has anyone seen any better deals on this type machine?

The other question I have is about quality of cut. I mowed some relatively tall and wet grass today to a 3" height and noticed some uncut grass. The dealer said it is from the front wheels pushing down the grass and that at a 3" cut, there is not enough lift to pick the grass back up in time to cut it. By lowering to a 2.5" cut, the deck is able to hold a vaccum better and there did not appear to be any uncut grass. He said cut height should not make a difference with dry grass. Does the dealer's explanation make sense or is there some other issue?

2. farmguy

farmguy LawnSite Member

I have this same mower and from time to time will have this problem. The pro's on here will probably tell you to check the rake of your deck = 1/8" lower in the front than the back. If the grass is thin to start with you may actually have to lower the deck due to the air pressure. Also try easing the throttle back just a little.

I'm currently cutting fescue at 4.25" and not having problem.

You might want to do a search on "stringers"

Price--If I recall I paid a little more but it was still in the crate. If eveything else is sound then it should be a decent offer. What does the dealer want for a current year model?

Overall it has been a solid piece of machinery.

3. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

eXmarks are very poor cutters in long, wet turf.

They do, however, excel, in other areas.

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that your professional opinion, or scrub opinion? Any day my Exmark will perform under whatever is out there.

5. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't buy it just because its underpowered. A lazer with only a 20 hp engine, it have to have at least a 25 hp. Heck the lazer HP comes with a 23 hp standard.

6. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen a number of comments lately on this board and others saying eXmarks cannot cut tall wet turf. I've always been pleased with eXmarks quality of cut in all conditions.
    I have doubles on my Lazer and I have been cutting some unbelievable growth lately (wet too). I can't imagine any mower doing much better. Two thumbs up to eXmark!

7. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

They're better with doubles but still can't compare to a Toro in long wet turf.

8. wareagle

wareagle LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Lazer Z 20 HP Kohler/52" deck to really verify whether or not it is underpowered? If I eliminate my doubts about this issue, I'll probably get the Z. The dealer only has the one 2002 leftover at this price ($6400) and all the new Lazers are getting out of my price range.

My other choices are the Gravely 152 Z with 23HP Kawi, hydraulic deck lift and most importantly, a cup holder :) for $6300 or the Bunton 2190 with 19 HP Kawi, 52" deck, electric deck lift for $6200.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get the mower, Just don't Put a Belt Driven Blower On It, Use a gas engine Bagger,Trac-vac, Peco And alike.
    You can run doubles In Wet tall Turf then When It dries Out some Go Back to Singles.
    Have Fun!
    John.

10. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Lazer HP, 23hp & 52" deck with the Ultra vac. It plain sucks in wet grass. When it's dry it cuts beautiful. I've cleaned the deck, blower, and chute and sprayed w/ "no stick" spray, but the blower and/or chute still clog. Mowing slowly at wide open throttle too. Any suggestions?