2002 LazerZ Models

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Jay ALC, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

I just received the new literature today and am interested in buying a 60" Lazer(not sure which one yet) this spring. In looking at the lit. I noticed that the new Lazer LC has extra weighs added to the front under the foot area. I was wondering what purpose these weights are to serve? I am debating whethere to buy the 27HP Kaw LC or the 26HP Kohl EFI either in a 60". Which one seems to have more power even though the LC is labeled as 27HP? Also which one is expected to have a longer life span? If I read it all correctly the EFI is suupose to be much more fuela efficient, correct? Thanks for any insight on this.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jay,

The weights on the Liquid cooled v-twins are there to maintain the balance of the machine so that it handles and feels as much like an air-cooled as possible. One of the main reasons the Lazer has been so successful is that it is well balanced. The weights just ensure that the balance is maintained.

The EFI and the 27 liquid cooled are going to cut grass nearly identical to each other. You really can't tell much if any difference in power for the most part. The EFI will for the most part get better fuel economy but will consume equal amounts of fuel as the 27 in extremely heavy cutting conditions. The old saying goes something like this. "A carburetor gives and engine what it wants and EFI gives it what it needs". Which means that under normal loads the EFI gets better fuel economy, when under full load they both need more fuel.

On a 60" it will be very difficult to put either of them under full load very often. They both have great torque.

In theory a liquid cooled should live longer than an air-cooled. Keep in mind that most lawn mower engines fail due to dirt rather than overheating. Both engines have a canister air filter but the edge would have to go to the Kohler in this area. The Kaw filter is very good but the Kohler filter is awesome.

The liquid cooled engine does not allow nearly as much heat to get on the operators back and it is much quieter.

Basically it comes down to which one do you prefer. Demo both and ask around. Both engines have excellent reputations. At this time we don't get many complaints about either of them but no engine is perfect.

Good luck

Terry