2003 Chevy LB7 Duramax?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Nov 1, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I went and looked at diesel trucks today and saw a 2003 Chevy 2500HD LS Ext. cab short bed 4x4 w/ the LB7 Duramax/ Allison tranny with 68,934 miles on it for $24,995. Is this a good deal? KBB booked it at $27,570. Also were there any problems with this year? I know the injectors were bad on some of them but is there anything else? Also what kind of power are these LB7 pushing stock? Also I plan to get a chip for this truck if I decide to buy, what chips do you recommend? Also what things should I do to beef up the tranny to handle the power of a chip? And what kind of MPG can I expect from this LB7 towing and plowing? I use a LBZ a couple of times a week and it does flawless and has power to anything I wanted it to do and was beating the piss out of it and I am getting 18mpg hauling my 18ft trailer w/ equipment that is in my signature. Also how much of a difference in power wise between the LB7 and the LBZ? I really want the LBZ but can't afford one right now and price of a plow is $4,700 for a Sno-way 8ft SS trip edge plow and this lb7 sounds like great deal to me. And one last question is it possible to put the new 6 speed auto Allison in this truck? What all thing would I have to change?

Equipment on the the truck:
    Air Conditioning AM/FM Stereo Privacy Glass
    Power Steering Dual Front Air Bags
    Tilt Wheel ABS (4-Wheel)

LS Cruise Control Towing Pkg
    Power Windows Single Compact Disc Alloy Wheels
    Power Door Locks Power Seat

duramax 2003 outside 1.jpg
  2. qualitylawnmanagement

outside of truck again.

duramax 2003 outside 2.jpg
  3. qualitylawnmanagement

the back of the truck. Thats the part of the truck that these ricers will be seeing if the want to show me up lol.:weightlifter:

duramax 2003 outside 3.jpg
  4. qualitylawnmanagement

inside of the truck, looks pretty clean for an 2003 I think. By the way all of these trucks at this dealer are lease return vehicles from a Chevy dealer then sent this this dealer, so all of the maintenance and up keep should of been done to this vehicle.

duramax inside side cab view.jpg
  5. qualitylawnmanagement

the drivers seat, which I hope I get very use to seeing this part of the truck.:cool2:

duramax inside driver seat.jpg
  6. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Where do I start... Injector problems, almost not likely because they were in the 01's that had a problem.
    The power will be noticable different in the LB7 vs the LBZ. The LBZ is like the LB7 with a chip. Don't buy a chip until you are comfy with the truck and are used to it, also, with a chip, you have to keep it on the lower setting if you are towing because it isnt good for the tranny. If you get the chip, you should also upgrade your exhaust aswell as install gauges to help monitor the vitals. The LB7 has plenty of power to do what you want and then some. I have never had a problem with either of my LBZ's and I love em'. Tranny upgrades can be very costly and add up quickly.
    Mileage, any where from 14mpg on the highway modded or towing to 20+mpg stock.
    Upgrading the tranny? why? The only advantage is one more gear, I have ridden in both/drove and ya, there is a difference but not enough to drop $4+k on a tranny just because it has one more gear, for that much you can do a suncoast tranny that can handle 600+rwhp.
    All and all, it looks like a really nice truck and I would see if there was any budging. I love mine and won't go back to gas.
    Good luck!!

P.S. Its a slippery slope when you buy a diesel and start modding it...ask any of the other diesel guys that mod...I can tell you from experiance.
  7. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i agree with everything james gates said. i have an 03 lb7 and i love it. i run a superchips on the tow/haul mode. also installed an mbrp straight pipe with cold air intake as well as gauges. the biggest downside of the truck so far is when you get used to towing heavy and unhook the trailer to drive home as the rain is beginning to fall. it does get squirrelly.
    good luck
  8. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

I have that exact truck, only an 06 with the lbz. The diesel mods turn into a real money pit..For me personally i just hook my trailer up to a friends gas truck for a day. Then back in the Duramax it's like a rocket ship! I just hit 15,000 miles and the tires are just about shot.. The stock shocks are junk already too. Overall i love the thing..Go over to Dieselplace.com, im a member over there too, these guys are serious and have an extrordinary wealth of knowlege
  9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an 04 LB7 I put injectors in it at 64k. That is the only problem I have had. My truck has Edge Juice with attitude, it livens it up nicely. You can run up to about 100hp on programmers before you need to do anything to the tranny. Like Duramax8832 said, go do dieselplace.com, it's a wealth of knowledge.