2003 exmark 23hp 52" in Florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tnales, Jul 9, 2005.

1. tnales

tnales LawnSite Member
    from florida

Hello. I am interested in purchasing a used mower that is for sale locally in Florida. It is a 23hp Kawasaki with a 52 inch deck. It has 115 hrs on it. What would be a reasonable cash price for this mower? I know that they are about 7-8000 new. Also, which motor is better? The Kohler of Kawasaki?

I have 2.5 acres in south florida and I would also like to use it as a secondary mower for my 22 acres in central florida.

I am new to the exmark scene and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I guess part of the price issue would be if its a regular Z or Lazer Z HP. The HP's sell for more new than the 52" regular Z. One of the most sought after and best sellers of eXmark is the 52" Lazer Z HP with 23 Kawi. I've owned 2. The newest MSRP on the Lazer HP with Kawi is now $7999.

You can't really hurt any comm'l mower much in 115 hours, so I would consider it probably a very good machine. A little birdie inside eXmark one time told me that a good rule of thumb for figuring value was the selling price minus $5 per hour on the machine. With that in mind, that would still be more than I would be willing to pay for a used machine. If the machine was kept inside, oil changed correctly, nothing more than a few paint scratches from normal use, I would see giving $5000-$5700.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=48529

Oh, motor choice for me is Kawi only. They make more torque and I've never had any problems from them.

The 2003 HP has never in 2 yrs seen the inside of a shop. Other than oil, oil filters, airfilter, plugs and 1 set of belts its never been touched. The 2000 HP is just as bulit proof, although I don't own it anymore, a friend of mine does. He uses it daily as his front line mower.

3. tnales

tnales LawnSite Member
    from florida

Thanks.

I think the seller is asking about 5500. There is one more question I have to ask. How does the exmark stack up against the dixie chopper? The reason I ask is because there seems to be a lot of people around here using them. My guess is they are less expensive.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Stack up? humm...hard to give a real good objective answer. Price wise, they are probably fairly close, eXmark may be a little more. DC has some good points and bad. The main thing that kept me from buying a DC once upon a time was they will not hold hills anywere as good as an eXmark. They both have a great cut quality.

5. tnales

tnales LawnSite Member
    from florida

yep. I dont have to worry about hills too much since Im in Florida. Nevertheless, I do favor the exmark. Bottom line is, I want to buy a mower that will be the last one I buy. Im not in the lawn maintenence business, and I want to buy one that I will be able to use for years and years to come.

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

eXmark is great but when it is down needed to be in shop, that is whole different story...long wait, line, you might be out 3 weeks without mowers cause everybody has it!
    I will take Hustler Super Z 52/27 kohler anyday over the eXmark 52/23 HP, and you know what ? the price of Hustler is lot lower too, besides having better warranty and dealership attitude in contrast to eXmark's dealer's attitude.
    BTW, I have 2 eXmarks as my bread & butter front line, 52" & 36", but I am switching once I am ready for my next upgrade.