1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2003 Exmark - What's different on new?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nathannc, Feb 19, 2007.

1. nathannc

nathannc LawnSite Member

I have just bought a 2003 Exmark Model # LZ 27K 60-4 with a non-liquid cooled 27HP kohler and a 60" deck as you can probably tell from the model designation. The mower came with only 99 hours on the clock and looks to be in almost new condition. And man, do I love this machine! I am just using it on several properties that I own. What I would like to know is, what is the difference between my mower and the newer Exmarks of about the same size? That is, what innovations or changes have they made in these mowers over the last several years that mine wouldn't have? Anything I should watch out for on these mowers? Lastly, did I get burned paying $4680.00 for it with the mulcher attachment? Thanks.
  2. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Im not 100% sure but your mower most likly dosent have the new Triton deck. But that may not be a bad thing. I was talking to my local exmark dealer and he said he actually likes the older deck better for quallity of the cut.
  3. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Theres your answer above.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll give you $5000 for it. Yeah good deal.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First, your mower has a better cutting deck (Ultra-cut), as compared to the Triton. Granted, they were supposed to have done some improvements on the newer triton deck, but the jury is still out on that one. However, if you paid 4700 for a Lazer that had only 100 hrs. on it, which is very possible if it was a homeowners mower, you have bought yourself a brand new Lazer, because these machines haven't hardly been broke in a this time. One thing you have to understan about this type of machine. It is NOT like a lawn and garden tractor you buy from a dealer or strore. These machines are built to run ALL day - every day. There are guys in this biz that will put that amount of hours on a mower in 2 to 3 weeks. IMO you did good.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Newer lazers have controls on the tanks instead of between your legs. Maybe a better air filter, different (but not necessarily better) deck, roll bars. I actually like the older model better.
  7. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah...I just traded an 03 off...it was the best cutting machine I have had but I kept hitting the PTO with my leg since they were down low. Other than that, keep it for as long as you can. I had a 27 Kaw Liquid Cooled and I had a hard time holding a hill due to the weight up higher. On regular ground, it worked fine.
  8. nathannc

nathannc LawnSite Member

Watched the Video on income taxes. Wow, every American ought to see this film! Most alarming was the part about the ID chips. I wonder if there are plans to put them on our mowers. Thanks for the info on the PTO switch. Oh yeah, can you tell me why there seems to be a extra pulley on top of my 60" deck that is not connected to anything? No belt, or anything is connected yet, all three blades turn.
  9. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

That would be the double pulley to run the ultra vac.It must of had one at one time.
  10. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah...if the extra pulley is on the chute-side blade, then it is for the bagger. I have one of those too. Trying to get another one purchased right now. I have the three bagger set-up but REALLY want the dump-vac kit. Time is money, BIG TIME.

I'm glad you watched the film. Most people just harass me and never even question what our beloved government is doing to its people. Good for you, Nathan! I have more...not for the timid.