2003 Ford F-150 4.6l

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jajwrigh, Feb 15, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I am looking at buying one of these tommorrow with the 3.55 gear. Anyone use this for mowing/landscaping? If so I am curious to know if you have experienced any problems with it. If not, tell me of your review from using it.

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We had a 98 f-150 and it was fine for just towing a Wb in a 6x12 enclosed trailer, but for mucl and sod it really was a load.Brake had to be replaced often. Gas milage wasnt very good. But it wroked.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It is okay to tow mowing equip ( a Z and a WB, or 2 WB without Z), but to use as a tow truck for other landscaping job, i.e., sodding, gravel, pavement, no way it will last...
    For example, 1 pallet of St. Augustine sods weighing between 2500 to 3000 lbs, you have 2000 sq feet to do sodding which requires at least 4 pallets weighing about 10,000 lbs, your F 150 is no way can handle it unless you do 2 or 3 trips.
    If I need a truck covering it all , F 250 with 5.4 v 8 is the entry. But you have to do what youn have to... just 2 cents.

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Well nevermind....Ford wouldn't come down on any of their prices and they offered me peanuts for my trade in. I guess I will wait for something else to come along another time.

5. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and love it. 03 with a 4.6. I've had bigger trucks but it works for me. A friend has one and hauls 2 walkbehinds and a ztr with no problem.

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 03 5.4 with upgraded shocks etc as my personal truck, when I use it to pull the equipment I have never had a problem.

7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 00 F150 5.4L auto 4x4 that I use for snow plowing. When i bought the truck the sales guy told me the 4.6L V8 is an older engine, and gets bad gas milage. The 5.4L has plenty of power thats for sure on my truck 260hp, havent pulled my big trailer yet, dont know if i ever will need to, but knowing i have the big V8 its nice to know i could easily pull it.
    Matt