2003 Lazer HP tire update

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by brucec32, May 21, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wanted to post some feedback after 150 hours of use on the new mower. No complaints except that I still find the narrower more rounded profile tires spinning more than I remember them on my near-identical '98 unit with more squared off tires that had a wider effective tread on the same size tire. The current tires do damage less when they spin, but they spin more often.

I've lowered air pressure to 9psi, but it seems the actual tread compound is a little harder. Also, I think the weight distribution is a little front heavy, which could affect the traction. I drove it up a trailer ramp today with my trailer already parked on a steep drive, and it did great, so there's sure no problem with it rearing up on hills. I lose traction on even slight downhills and while cresting some hills in some situations. I'd like to see future models have more rear weight bias.

Do you a) think that different tires would help the situation? and b) is it possible to go up a size in width and still have proper clearance?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bruce32,

Were both units 48" with Kawasaki engines?

Thanks

Terry

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

There were a LOT of changes from a 1998 model to a 2003 model.

4. brucec32

Terry, the '98 had a 18hp Kohler twin, the '02 the 21hp Kawi.

5. brucec32

Really? I had them sitting side by side in the garage and one point and other than the engine configuration and hydraulic fluid resevoir location, they were pretty identical.

The cupholder and foot pedal come to mind, but not much else. The deck sure seems the same, it uses the old mulch kit I had. I think the blade spindle is slightly different too, the current design seems less likely to get a blade stuck on. But that seems minor and wouldn't affect traction I'd think.

What other changes are there?

6. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Bruce, was just wondering if you saw a beneficial difference when you lowered your rear tire psi from 13 to 9? Do you get better traction? Do the tires look or feel flat?

As I've posted before, I too am having traction problems on my slope with my '03 23/52 LHP -- but attribute it mostly to the wet Spring.

Thanks.

7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bruce32,

There is a 5-6 lb. weight difference between the two engines however that's not enough to make any real difference.

Airing the tires down should in this application not only decrease traction (in most conditions) but also cause more turf damage. I'd raise the tire pressure up to around 16-18 and give it a try again. Then let me know what you see.

Thanks

Terry

8. brucec32

Yes, they were set up way too high by the dealer, maybe 20 psi, and I lowered them first to 11 lbs, then 9, and it seems to help quite a bit from when I first got the mower, but it's still not great. Doesn't look flat at all. I am tempted to go lower but don't want to risk one slipping off the rim under stress.

It might be the wetter turf this spring, but I don't think so. I can be on a slight downward slope, stop, and reverse and the wheels will just spin. I know this is different because I did the same spot for years with the old mower and it handled it pretty well.

I'm learning to live with it and work around it when maneuvering. It's not the end of the world. I have a tire changer setup, so if I can find a decent set of tires for it at a good price, I might switch them out and see how it helps. I can definitely see less damage if the wheel accidentally pivots with the new tires, but I'd rather have the grip.

9. brucec32

Ok, I'll try it, even though it seems counter to what I know about tires and traction in other situations. Do you think it might be reducing the footprint at low psi?

10. brucec32

I just checked the tires. They are Carlise multi trac C/I, but I also noticed they are sized 24x9.5x12, NOT 23x9.5x12 turf master as listed on the Exmark Website.

What gives? I thought I was buying a 2003 model. And could this make a difference? Looks like an inch wider tire would clear. I also see on the website that a 24x12x12 tire is optional. Is this mounted on the same rim? I might just switch to those.