1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2003 Super Mini Deck alignment and adjustment?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Ruben Rocha, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question about this.I was checking the alignment on the deck and noticed that it was uneven and pitch was a little off.
    I followed the procedure on the manual 3 times and have the same result.
    I placed two 2x4 boards under all four corners adjusted the deck to the
    3 1/4" setting as instructed. the deck is level side to side and pitched with the rear 1/4" higher than the front. I removed the blocks and the bottom of the deck matches the blocking as I stated. Perfect I thought. Now the highest position the deck lever will go is the 4" position. The deck hits the stops sticking out of the frame. In fact if it could go higher the blade belt would rub on the frame and one of the pulleys would rub on a bolt. The manual states I can get 4.5" in transport position but I don't.
    What I ended up doing is readjusted the deck lift adjuster so that in transport position the deck is a 1/4" below the frame stops but now the 3-1/4" stop does not match the blocking. The bottom of the deck is about a 1/2" lower on the front. Which is what I had before I started this whole procedure.
    Am I missing something? How should I measure the height of cut?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me and I will get our customer service guys in contact with you.

3. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

It took a few phone conversations with the Florida Service Rep but I finally got an answer today.
    It appears that an engineering problem appeared mid year in 2003 which caused a mid year production change on the mini-z. The change involved changing the 20" tires to 23" tires and a frame modification that allowed room for the larger tires because the tires hit the gas tank supports. The issue is that the maximum height of the deck is 4.25" not 4.5" as the indicator decal shows and the brochure. If you follow the manual to align the deck all the settings hold true as indicated but you will only be able to set it to a maximum height of the 4.25" setting and will not be able to set it in the transport position of 4.5". Unless you align the deck and after you are done fine-tune the deck lift pedal to allow the transport position to be set but this also will cause the deck height to be about a .5" lower than indicated on the height indicator. I asked if there was a retrofit kit or modification bulletin for a correction and the answer was there was not and the engineers were not sure if the just replacing the 20” tires with the 23" tires as well as the rims would fit on my frame or that I would be able to align the deck correctly after installing the new tires and rims
    I am disappointed that Hustler did not ever address this issue with existing machines already in the market but I am willing to give it a try. I just don’t want to buy them and not be able to return them if they don’t work.