2004 - 2005 Deck Change

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by naturescaretaker, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to buy several of your Super Z's. I was told that the mower deck was changed for 2005 so it would have a larger discharge opening. Can you confirm this once and for all. I have gotten 3 different stories, from the dealer, the Hustler Rep and the factory.

Thanks,

Brian

2. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

As a dealer hustler has not informed us of any total deck change.At Louisville that have shown all a different blade on the unit to improve the quality of cut in wet conditions.All changes that we were made aware of were all in field improvements. SO they could be retrofited.
    So we will have to wait a see!!

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for your reply. We will wait for a few weeks. If this issue is corrected then I will order 5 units. If it is not then I will go with another manufacture.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yes,
    I've been using custom blades for the past season on my WB's, 48" and 54" with exceptional results. Since my blades are similar to Hustler's new blades for the Z riders, I'm sure the results will be nothing short of great.
    You can also bet while they are changing blade design, provisions for running doubles "with under deck height adjustability", are in the works.
    Pete

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

What type of blades is Hustler using to improve cut quality in wet grass?

6. theservicingdealer

It was shown for the first time at Louisville expo. It kind of a double but not a full second blade. We have used one type of proto type and the really work. The deck stay unbelievable clean .Yes even mowing wet grass.From the what I hear It should be available as an option for the next mowing season. So I assume if they showed it to the public that this will be true!! Iam sure they will keep us posted.

7. Doc Pete

While playing around, I had good luck using a set of 44" blades and the stock 54" blades on my WB. Also, using the stock blades which are drop downs and a set of super lift "flat" blades, results were again interesting. Since the there was about a 1" difference in height using flats and drop downs, you get the benefit of higher vacuum, but the grass isn't as finely chopped, which basically ended the clumping problem.
    Pete

8. theservicingdealer

The blades are not 2 stock blades that Pete has tried .They are something totally different. Other things have been done. Hustler is more that that!!!!Souind like Pete has not seen these yet. Hummm.. :help:

9. Doc Pete

No, I haven't seen them yet. However, I also believe what you saw "is not" what will be offered next year. Furthermore, if Hustler's typical type of testing (a la trimstar, gatemaster, shortcut and stock blades on SWBs) was done, there's still plenty of room for improvement and testing that could have been done.

PS..... I have tried many combos, including stock highlifts, which work well in 90% of situations. In fact, for most normal mowing, double stock "highlifts" give the best combination of overall power vs. cut quality.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think there are going to be any physical changes for 2005. The shorty upper cutting blade should eventually be an option though. I saw that at GIE, but no deck changes. Dunno how much a larger discharge opening would really help things down here in our thick southern grasses anyways.

Oh well, maybe they will get your business on the next 5 units you purchase after these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.