2004 Cub Cadet 50 Inch Zturn

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by yard_smart, Jun 9, 2008.

1. yard_smart

yard_smart LawnSite Senior Member

Hello every one,

before i spend an @$$ load of money putting my mower in the shop i figured i would ask you all a quick question...

I have an 04 Cub Zero Turn (50'') with a 23 kholer or how ever you spell it lol but the question i have is with the trannys (which im lost when it come to) my stearing is not as responsive as it use to be its kinda like its either full speed forward or full speed backwards ?!?!?! there is alot of play in the handles . . . i haven't adjusted anything because i DON'T KNOW WHAT IM DOING AND DON'T WANNA MAKE IT WORSE! ! ! !

Is there any thing i can do to fix this or do i just need to put it in the shop ?

2. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like your hydro pump might be going bad.

3. yard_smart

ouch that sounds expensive lol . . . i have been looking and pondering about these little push buttons that the handles push in could they be wore out? i bought the mower used last year and it has around 230 hrs on it . . . i was considering trading it in for a 60 in.

Im trying to see what is going to be more cost effective . . .trading it in on a new mower or fixing it

4. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not too familiar with hydraulics but the description you wrote does sound like the hydro pumps are going out.

5. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I had the same kind of problem with my Toro ZTR . I assumed that it was just the wear and tear on the motors showing up. I take the mower into the dealer for something unrelated. When they go to work on it the dealer calls me and tells me these I guess you would call them bushings in the steering assembly were very worn and that he recommended highly that I have them replaced. When I got the mower back the steering was like new and the fix was hell of a lot cheaper then new hydro pumps. I wish I could remember what exact part it was but I can not, sorry.

Hopefully for you that what is your problem is and that you have a honest dealer.

6. yard_smart

yah i hope its something small

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That is one of the very cheap-built Cubs designed for mass sales at the "big box" stores. Dealers also sell them as a low end machine. Best thing to do is haul it to the scrap yard and buy a higher quality machine. If the trans. needs repair/replacement, you are looking at almost half the new cost of the machine.
    sounds like an RZT 50.

8. yard_smart

i stoped by a friends today that use to have a small engine shop and he said to check the drive belt . . .does that make sense ?

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If the hydro drive belt is slipping, it can make the hydros sluggish and slow to respond. also, your hydro belt tensioner could be frozen up, or the spring could be weak. both problems can cause the belt to slip.

10. yard_smart

i figured it out ... well kinda . . . it was where the handles connect , , , like the handle has two parts the one that moves in and out of the locking spot when your not using it then one that only goes back and forth . . . the bolt was loose which was giving it too much play . . .got to dark to take pic..... will post tomm.

but tightened em up and WOW the right side is like a damn banshee now lol the left is okay but i think i just need to adjust them now

thanks for the help guys